Emergency what should I do with my anemone

Quita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I woke up this morning to my anemone looking horrific. Yesterday it walked to the Kenya tree. When I got home it was slightly touching the Kenya tree but its mouth was open really wide and all white stuff was visible. As if its insides were coming out. I moved the Kenya tree and it looks really good I can’t see any damage done to it. The anemone is a bubble tip but I heard people say to never keep a dead anemone in your tank as they release toxins. I don’t want to loose any of my other coral as there is some very large and more expensive corals in there. I’m wondering if it’s dying as I’ve never had an anemone die and if I should remove it to protect my other corals.

The parameters of the tank are:
Ca = 430
KH = 10.8
Mg = 1290
Ammonia and nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
Salinity = 1.027 which is slightly high it usually runs at 1.025 but had a fair bit of evaporation due to heat but was topped up with RO
Phosphate = 0.03

Any help or advice on what I should do is extremely appreciated.

376710B3-1994-4E91-8E75-8CC58653489C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I woke up this morning to my anemone looking horrific. Yesterday it walked to the Kenya tree. When I got home it was slightly touching the Kenya tree but its mouth was open really wide and all white stuff was visible. As if its insides were coming out. I moved the Kenya tree and it looks really good I can’t see any damage done to it. The anemone is a bubble tip but I heard people say to never keep a dead anemone in your tank as they release toxins. I don’t want to loose any of my other coral as there is some very large and more expensive corals in there. I’m wondering if it’s dying as I’ve never had an anemone die and if I should remove it to protect my other corals.

The parameters of the tank are:
Ca = 430
KH = 10.8
Mg = 1290
Ammonia and nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
Salinity = 1.027 which is slightly high it usually runs at 1.025 but had a fair bit of evaporation due to heat but was topped up with RO
Phosphate = 0.03

Any help or advice on what I should do is extremely appreciated.

376710B3-1994-4E91-8E75-8CC58653489C.jpeg
Kenyii tree should not have effect on it. If it appears its insides are coming inside out, it may be expelling its inner zooxanthellae due to too much light. Moderate to medium flow and assure nitrate and phosphate not elevated. If this is a newer tank less than 4-5 months, this will likely be the cause

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That anemone looks really bad. Sorry for your troubles. I have 5 anemones in a separate tank with urchins and a puffer. It’s the only way to keep weirdo creatures. Give them their own space. I can’t handle anemone walking around the tank.

OP
OP
Q

Quita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 6 months. Was cycled for 6 weeks but was bought off someone who had had it running for a year so he gave the live rock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Q

Quita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That anemone looks really bad. Sorry for your troubles. I have 5 anemones in a separate tank with urchins and a puffer. It’s the only way to keep weirdo creatures. Give them their own space. I can’t handle anemone walking around the tank.
Yeh I know I don’t really like when they walk around, makes my nervous. So you think it should be removed?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back