Turbo snails dying? Emergency situation?

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I noticed today that my Turbo snails keep throwing themselves onto their backs, as if they're dying, but they're still alive and moving! (This is unusual for my particular snails, and a number of them are doing it at the same time, in different areas of the tank). I have 3 large standard Turbo snails, and 3 small banded turbo snails, I observed the behavior in 2 of the large ones, and 1 of the banded ones. I've gone in to pick them up 3 times now. I just did a 10% water change (all the salt water I had made up), and have done weekly water changes since I started the system, without fail (tomorrow would be the usual water change day).

They’re just laying there “belly up”, not trying to correct themselves upright at all, but they’re still alive and wiggling a about a little.

Tank information:

System: Red Sea Reefer 170 G2+
Salinity: 33.7ppt (now raised to 34ppt as that was a little lower than I want it, tested with digital Hannah tester)
Temp: 24.8c

Salifert tests:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 25ppm (fairly normal for my tank, usually goes between 10-25 during a week, and this is late in the week before a typical scheduled water change)
Phosphate: 0.25ppm (this was pretty elevated from previous test of 0.03ppm, which was consistent for a long time)
Calcium: 470
Magnesium: 1380
Alkalinity: 11.2

Tank runs on a 10w UV sterilizer (24/7), Skimmer and filter sock. I usually change the floss in the sock twice a week, but I forgot to do it a few days ago, so it was sitting holding nutrients for longer than usual.

I had also upped my feeding to twice a day (lunch time pellets, evening frozen mysis mix which includes garlic).

I'm thinking I've probably been over feeding, as there's also a slghtly increase in hair algae in my sand bed, although my critters have been keeping it at bay.

Is it possible the snails are dying due to the elevated phosphates? I'm still a newbie, so I don't really know the cause and effect of certain parameter spikes.

Photo of snail on it's "back" attached below:

snails.jpg

Last edited:

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they just sometimes fall off the rocks and get stuck that way, not caused by high phosphate or anything like that.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate can affect inverts differently from fish although yours are no where near high enough to cause issues. Turbo snails should be able to flip themselves over if they fall, not all can but most can depending on how they land. Does it happen in one spot in particular in the tank or is it random?

artificialocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed Turbos can flip back over but the leading cause of death is them not being able to. The mortality rate of turbos flipping or tumbling over or dying is much higher compared to trochus (almost never). Sometimes its just a weird place for them in the scape where they tilt however in my personal tank I had one that for 2 days straight kept falling in different places but after that it was fine.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It keeps happening, currently 2 of them are lying like that. I have picked them up multiple times now.

I know they sometimes do fall off things, but they usually can correct themselves. These are just lying there with their flesh showing, and it’s not just one of them. It’s definitely unusual for my system.

Obviously I’d rather they didn’t die, but my main concern is that it’s a canary in the coal mine situation, and an indication or something wrong, but my test results don’t seem to suggest anything majorly wrong??

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another change I’ve noticed in the last few days is an unhappy Duncan coral (it’s just a single head frag), it has been happy and fluffy since I added it over a month ago, but the last 3 days it’s been retracted. I noticed it’s sprouting a couple of new heads, and a which google said they can sometimes retract when they’re growing new heads, so I put it down to that; but just thought I’d mention it. All other fish, inverts, and corals seem fine for now.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tests are you using?
Alk is a little high but shouldnt really be detrimental to the snails, might maybe be a little high for the duncan.....
Is the alk always that high? It didnt spike did it?

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another change I’ve noticed in the last few days is an unhappy Duncan coral (it’s just a single head frag), it has been happy and fluffy since I added it over a month ago, but the last 3 days it’s been retracted. I noticed it’s sprouting a couple of new heads, and a which google said they can sometimes retract when they’re growing new heads, so I put it down to that; but just thought I’d mention it. All other fish, inverts, and corals seem fine for now.
Previous 2 alk tests were 10.5, so i guess it is slightly elevated than usual. Might need to adjust my All For Reef dose.

All tests were Salifert tests.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a hater on any test kits and ive used api for years in the past with good success but I have seen some low nitrate readings in particular that were much higher in reality. Was it my fault? probably. I probably didnt shake the reagent long or hard enough and ended up throwing off every test after that. So I was just wondering. Salifert usually have a good track record and aren't as particular to the application procedure.
I'd back off on the all for reef a bit. I had that happen recently with afr also I was dosing the recommended min amount and it was fine for weeks then I switch to testing every 3-5 days it jumped up during that time from 8.6-9.2. I use a hannah tester I double checked it against api and red sea. So I cut my dose I dont want to be higher then 8.6.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah agreed. I think i’m gonna reduce feeding a little, back off the AFR, and I’ve also ordered a more basic refractometer, as i’ve heard tails of the Hannah salinity checker just going out of whack, even after recalibration.

Most of the salifert tests seem fine, but I do find Nitrates a bit difficult to read sometimes.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar behavior when I had a dinoflagelete outbreak in month 3 of my new tank. That killed off my entire cleanup crew consisting of various snails and crabs. It also killed off my huge population of copepods.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I noticed today that my Turbo snails keep throwing themselves onto their backs, as if they're dying, but they're still alive and moving! (This is unusual for my particular snails, and a number of them are doing it at the same time, in different areas of the tank). I have 3 large standard Turbo snails, and 3 small banded turbo snails, I observed the behavior in 2 of the large ones, and 1 of the banded ones. I've gone in to pick them up 3 times now. I just did a 10% water change (all the salt water I had made up), and have done weekly water changes since I started the system, without fail (tomorrow would be the usual water change day).

They’re just laying there “belly up”, not trying to correct themselves upright at all, but they’re still alive and wiggling a about a little.

Tank information:

System: Red Sea Reefer 170 G2+
Salinity: 33.7ppt (now raised to 34ppt as that was a little lower than I want it, tested with digital Hannah tester)
Temp: 24.8c

Salifert tests:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 25ppm (fairly normal for my tank, usually goes between 10-25 during a week, and this is late in the week before a typical scheduled water change)
Phosphate: 0.25ppm (this was pretty elevated from previous test of 0.03ppm, which was consistent for a long time)
Calcium: 470
Magnesium: 1380
Alkalinity: 11.2

Tank runs on a 10w UV sterilizer (24/7), Skimmer and filter sock. I usually change the floss in the sock twice a week, but I forgot to do it a few days ago, so it was sitting holding nutrients for longer than usual.

I had also upped my feeding to twice a day (lunch time pellets, evening frozen mysis mix which includes garlic).

I'm thinking I've probably been over feeding, as there's also a slghtly increase in hair algae in my sand bed, although my critters have been keeping it at bay.

Is it possible the snails are dying due to the elevated phosphates? I'm still a newbie, so I don't really know the cause and effect of certain parameter spikes.

Photo of snail on it's "back" attached below:

snails.jpg
I suspect the snails are sick, starving, or dying.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect the snails are sick, starving, or dying.
I don’t think they’re starving, as there’s plenty stuff to eat. They’re still alive today, but aren’t active.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar behavior when I had a dinoflagelete outbreak in month 3 of my new tank. That killed off my entire cleanup crew consisting of various snails and crabs. It also killed off my huge population of copepods.
Okay, thanks for letting me know. I don’t have any dinos at this time, just some small patches of hair algae, but mu hermit crabs and konch snails have been cutting that down.

Pheezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem since the past 2-3 weeks, started with my two turbos, then my trochus and now even my nassarius as of today, none dead yet but they all stay on their backs and wont graze on rocks anymore or clean the glass. Most of these snails are 2 years old, trochus were even breeding in my tank a lot. Every other inverts, fish and corals are doing great. Cant find what is going on, waiting on my icp result sent today, hopefully that will help me. Ill keep you updated, best of luck !

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem since the past 2-3 weeks, started with my two turbos, then my trochus and now even my nassarius as of today, none dead yet but they all stay on their backs and wont graze on rocks anymore or clean the glass. Most of these snails are 2 years old, trochus were even breeding in my tank a lot. Every other inverts, fish and corals are doing great. Cant find what is going on, waiting on my icp result sent today, hopefully that will help me. Ill keep you updated, best of luck !
So, I discovered my issue was rising phosphates (peaked at 5ppm). I started dosing 5ml of NOPOX per day to reduce them, and the snails went back to normal within a week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back