Did my maxspect Gyre just fail?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have less than a year old Gyre pump wondering if it just failed?
controller lights up and says it going fine but the unit is not spinning.

I did just cleaned the pump a few days ago. it seemed to be working just fine then noticed they where not working at least one anyway.

my next steps are to take pump out and reassemble if not working contact support?

its crapy as I have had the pump for a while now collection the gear for the build but only wet for less than a year... BOOO

its on a red sea reefer 650P vertical on the back wall.

anyone have any other ideas?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are alot of gyres now. Maxpect, icecap, jump, jebao, Redsea, glamorica. Which exact one do you have as this effects how the controller works?

I will also note that the gyre design does require far more maintenance than traditional propeller pumps and they seem to burn through parts far more frequently IMO.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are alot of gyres now. Maxpect, icecap, jump, jebao, Redsea, glamorica. Which exact one do you have as this effects how the controller works?

I will also note that the gyre design does require far more maintenance than traditional propeller pumps and they seem to burn through parts far more frequently IMO.

AH good point
I have the maxspect FX350

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They easily get jammed with wee snails that make their way into the rotor blades. Take apart and pry out with a precision screwdriver...Just the nature of the beast with gyre style powerheads.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is the plan finally have some time this morning to check it out and see if I can get it going.

sure hope so was a lot of $$ for PH to fail.
i'll post an update

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every now and then one of the heads on my Maxspect XF330’s just flickers between on and off. It only seems to happen at low speeds (10-20%). Since placing this on an Icecap battery backup the problem seems to have gone away - go figure.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every now and then one of the heads on my Maxspect XF330’s just flickers between on and off. It only seems to happen at low speeds (10-20%). Since placing this on an Icecap battery backup the problem seems to have gone away - go figure.
wired.

update I took it out was really clean only up and running for 6 minths or so cleaned 2X but checked for snails and dble checked that it was reassembled correctly.
all is good there.
still no flow.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Weird, I’m having a similar issue. Mine have no flow, cleaned them good too. For me I think it’s the controller, I’ve had mine for quite a few years and the screen on the LCD is all scrambled.

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gyres are very finnicky after cleaning and reassembly. Sometimes I find that it was reassembled too tightly...i.e. the ends are squeezing in on the cages a bit too much, preventing the pump from spinning. Manually rotating the cages usually helps to loosen things, but recently I noticed that my propeller bushings were worn out. Perhaps give those a check. And I also suffer from a scrambled controller screen as @James404 mentioned; maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not, but I'm not touching the thing since it's finally working properly :)

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for chiming in guys I found my recipe looks like I started colling gear from BRS april 2019 but did not get wet until march of this year. as we moved and did a whole house reno.

so less that 6 months not what I was expecting. but I do have support in to coral vue hopefully that can be helpful.

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the bushing connecting the main shaft to the rotor slipping. To test the theory, use an EF Sharpie and mark the shaft to a corner of the bushing. let it run for a bit and then take apart to see if there is a change in position. If so, the bushing is slipping. A dab of CA glue will affix it but will be quite challenging to take the motor/impeller assembly apart for maintenance/replacement.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect/Coralvue are great with support. I had sim issues. They sent me a new controller, no questions asked. one way to test if it's the pump or the controller is to swap the pump from A to B or vice versa. If it works it's the controller. If not, then it's the pump.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maxspect/Coralvue are great with support. I had sim issues. They sent me a new controller, no questions asked. one way to test if it's the pump or the controller is to swap the pump from A to B or vice versa. If it works it's the controller. If not, then it's the pump.
For me it's both my pumps, really think its the controller. How old was your unit? I have xf230's that are probably 6-7 years old at this point.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be a bit too old but they may give you discount on the controller. Mine was like 2 years old.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that is a great idea! i'll do that today.

after cpl emails back in forth they are sending me a new controller as the unit was only wet for 6-7 months. I really hope this fixes it.

I think it helped that
1. I bought it from BRS they got me in touch with there CS team.
2. I had a build thread here showing the tank progress and reno on the house. so kinda prof it was only wet for a few months.

they will be sending it out either today or tomorrow. i'll update when I get it.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have documented issues with their controllers where one side would just die so they are replacing them pretty much as needed.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do when I disassemble mine is lubricate all moving parts very lightly with silcone grease (safe for plastic,/rubber and reef safe) not Vaseline. You don't want blobs of the stuff, just enough to coat the surface without oozing out. This will help prolong the life of moving parts.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do when I disassemble mine is lubricate all moving parts very lightly with silcone grease (safe for plastic,/rubber and reef safe) not Vaseline. You don't want blobs of the stuff, just enough to coat the surface without oozing out. This will help prolong the life of moving parts.
any recommendations the the right silicone grease to get?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been using this stuff for a while now. Danco 88693P Waterproof Faucet O-Rings | Silicone Lubricant | Plumbers Grease​

About this item​

• PLUMBERS FAUCET AND VALVE GREASE: Ideal for lubricating faucet stems, valves and cartridges when repairing a leaky faucet
  • LUBRICANT GREASE: Contains high raw silicone content making it better for long term lubricant hold, & helps hard-turning faucets work smoothly
  • NSF 61 APPROVED: designed for use as a waterproof lubricant on faucets, valve stems, cartridges and is safe for nitrite/rubber O-rings
  • SAFE: No chemical contamination to drinking water. Retains its consistency in temperatures from -40° to 400° F
  • ODORLESS and COLORLESS: Odorless scent makes this product easy to work with during application and no pigment for clean use
  • RESISTANCE: The grease is water resistant and oxidation resistant. Silicone faucet grease helps reduce friction and provides long-lasting lubrication
  • HOUSEHOLD USES: Our silicone sealant can be used to lubricate lubricate door hinges, threads on shower heads & bolts, toilet gaskets and flashlight O-rings

Back