Did my pistol shrimp eat my emerald crab?

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago, my emerald crab molted. Since then, I haven’t seen him, and he hasn’t eaten any bubble algae. I doubt he could escape, and I have few predators in my tank, so the tiger pistol shrimp/yellow watchman goby are the only thing I can think of that would kill him.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hopefully he's still alive, but if he is, he needs to eat some more bubble algae because I've been seeing too much of that stuff lately.
Emerald crabs are notorious for being food "snobs", ie: they start out eating problem algae then get used to tastier alternatives and stop being as useful.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was unlikely, but I've heard horror stories, so I thought I'd ask.
Pistols snap is wildly over rated. Mine pinched me once. It sorta hurt. Even snails just close up for a minute when he does it to them. He will even stack their shells like they've died. I'll look in at the area a few hours later and the snail was on glass going about his business.

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs are notorious for being food "snobs", ie: they start out eating problem algae then get used to tastier alternatives and stop being as useful.
A combination of phosphate issues and a picky goby have led me to feed less cheap flakes and more quality pellets/frozen shrimp, so that may have made him switch off algae.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A combination of phosphate issues and a picky goby have led me to feed less cheap flakes and more quality pellets/frozen shrimp, so that may have made him switch off algae.
That certainly could. Urchins, ring cowries and spiny astrea snails are great for rock duty.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back