Did my snail have a baby?

liudachris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this little guy on the wall. Not sure who the parent is but I think it's either a nerite or Mexican turbo snail. Clownfish in the photo for scale haha.

IMG_8723.jpeg

OP
OP
L

liudachris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a baby banded trochus to me. I bought 5 adult banded trochus 3 years ago and they have been breeding enough snails to keep all my other tanks stocked with snails for the last 2 years. Looks like a good score!
I think you're right! I originally think I was sold some banded trochus snails by my LFS as "Mexican turbo" snails. Did some reading and apparently trochus snails have white feet which 2 of mine have. This is the first time I've had this happen ever and I'm super pumped.

OP
OP
L

liudachris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby snail is still alive and kicking. Thought this was a cool photo of it hitching a ride. See if you can spot him . haha

Attachments

• DSC_4295.jpeg
    DSC_4295.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 33

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just noticed this little guy on the wall. Not sure who the parent is but I think it's either a nerite or Mexican turbo snail. Clownfish in the photo for scale haha.

IMG_8723.jpeg
Its an astrea snail and one of the more difficult to get hatched from an egg. May be possible of came in with new rock or coral

OP
OP
L

liudachris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a trochus bc he has those tentacles coming off the side of his body like my other 2 big trochus snails. Hitch-hiker or not, I still think he's pretty cool though. My kids make a game of looking of rhim on the glass every evening.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've has a baby snail crowling around on my glass for a while now. Such a cool little guy. He works harder than my Mexican turbos.
All I can think is “Anchor Baby,” and I can’t stop laughing at this one. Am I bad, and is it wrong? :face-blowing-a-kiss: :dizzy-face: :face-blowing-a-kiss::disappointed-face::smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Your tank is a little melting pot for aquatic civilization.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your baby Trochus snails doing? Mine are starting to venture out more and are displaying the tenticles the adults have. I've counted 14 visible at once.

So stoked that I may be set for snails due to this, and was wanting to see how yours are going.

OP
OP
L

liudachris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your baby Trochus snails doing? Mine are starting to venture out more and are displaying the tenticles the adults have. I've counted 14 visible at once.

So stoked that I may be set for snails due to this, and was wanting to see how yours are going.
He's growing, still alive. Thought the overflow or the MP40s were going to get him at some point...

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a baby banded trochus to me. I bought 5 adult banded trochus 3 years ago and they have been breeding enough snails to keep all my other tanks stocked with snails for the last 2 years. Looks like a good score!
I agree. I have dozens of those little guys in my tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back