Did my wrasses will survive ? :-(

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.. I'm so sad to make this post... Long story short ;
I have ordered a pink streaked wrasse from a fish store in Ontario(I'm in Quebec) the package was ship and delivered in less than 24hours by FedEx overnight. When the package has arrive, I have open it up to find my little wrasse belly up,
1000002581.jpg
with the impression that he was shaken during transport since his bag was lying on its side with soft bags of air which was supposed to fill the void in the box(cause the box was really really too big) but clearly this did not allow the bag to stay in place at all.
1000002588.jpg
And the water in the bag was really cold.. I don't know why but right after taking pic for DOA warranty, I have decided to put the bag floating in my tank just in case.. after a few second he start to breath slowly and heavily.. I have setup a little 2.6g qt tank, fill with my reef water, a piece of live rock from my display, a little Sand bed from drysand I have in stock and an air stone. I had prime in the qt just in case, I have slowly drip acclimated the little guy than put him in the qt.
He barely swim over and there, but mostly laying on the sandbed..
I don't know if I can do anything else to help him to survive
1000002603.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just say hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The fish is already showing signs of improvement, but it is still likely it wont make it.

IMO, you have done everything you can to help it. I dont believe there is anything that you can do to help it, besides trying your best to give it your best care.

Good luck.

OP
OP
JcK03

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just say hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The fish is already showing signs of improvement, but it is still likely it wont make it.

IMO, you have done everything you can to help it. I dont believe there is anything that you can do to help it, besides trying your best to give it your best care.

Good luck.
Thank you, I'm so sad, first time that something like that happens to me.. :-(

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'm so sad, first time that something like that happens to me.. :-(
It really sucks how in such a short time, all of that damage was done.

Have you tried contacting the seller about the situation?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have send them an email and pic/video right after opening the package, right after the delivery (I was home to receive it)
That's good.

I hope they give you some form of refund, whether its a new fish, store credit, or a partial refund.

OP
OP
JcK03

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good.

I hope they give you some form of refund, whether its a new fish, store credit, or a partial refund.
Hopping a partiel refund at least, cause I'll never order from them anymore, that was my first try and my last. The package was the worst I have ever see, poor fish.. his travel should be like the fish in finding Nemo shaking by Darla ‍
1000002610.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some very familiar words used above.
At times, wrasses ship poorly and will appear on death row and bounce right back. This is where good acclimation will play a role and offer best chances of survival.
Did the LFS give you the bag fish was shipped in or exchanged water and re-bag it? It appears from your post - straight from shipping?

OP
OP
JcK03

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At times, wrasses ship poorly and will appear on death row and bounce right back. This is where good acclimation will play a role and offer best chances of survival.
Did the LFS give you the bag fish was shipped in or exchanged water and re-bag it? It appears from your post - straight from shipping?
Ship directly from the fish store to my home, so in the same bag same water only less than 24h.. water was cold cause the heat pack was put no matter how
And nothing to hold the bag and prevent it from shaking in all way

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a Melanurus shipped to me a few weeks ago. Got stuck overnight and didn’t arrive until the second day (48 hours in a bag). It looked like it was on deaths door, but I slowly acclimated it for about 90 minutes. I gave it 50/50 odds.

It ended up hiding in the sand for a few hours and then bounced back 80% by the evening. By the next day they were eating anything I put into the tank along with Nori.

OP
OP
JcK03

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Melanurus shipped to me a few weeks ago. Got stuck overnight and didn’t arrive until the second day (48 hours in a bag). It looked like it was on deaths door, but I slowly acclimated it for about 90 minutes. I gave it 50/50 odds.

It ended up hiding in the sand for a few hours and then bounced back 80% by the evening. By the next day they were eating anything I put into the tank along with Nori.
That sounds encouraging, but mine for now don't even bury itself in the sand, just laying trying to survive and when he try to swim it's only one fin a time and turn around on itself head up head down .. don't know.. I'm so sad

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds encouraging, but mine for now don't even bury itself in the sand, just laying trying to survive and when he try to swim it's only one fin a time and turn around on itself head up head down .. don't know.. I'm so sad
Well, when I got it, it was in no shape to bury in sand either. I am not trying to give you false hope, but sometimes shippers ship fish in stuff that slows their metabolism down. Which may seem like they are worse off than they are.

Also, wrasse can be really tough shippers in general

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.. just passed out .. I'm really sad, was a strong guy but didn't make it
1000002611.jpg
Oh no. I am so sorry.

Please know that this is not your fault. You did everything you could do to save it. This was the sellers fault.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update.. just passed out .. I'm really sad, was a strong guy but didn't make it
1000002611.jpg
Sorry to see. Never buy a fish out a shipping bag. Problem often is. . . . . Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia. That raises the pH of the water in the bag, and that in turn, makes the residual ammonia very toxic to the fish. Sometimes, the fish will die right in the bag

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back