Difference Between Acans, Blastos, Micromussa, Favia, & Favities?

Andi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, folks!

Newer to the reefing world and thought I was getting a hold of the basic coral identification until (cue the spooky music) I realized that "fluffiness" was not a very helpful point of differentiation when I didn't have two or more different corals to compare. Can someone give me a Corals for Dummies version of how to tell the difference between acans, blastos, micromussa, favia, and favities? (Pictures are always a plus!) Thank you!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh girl.....
You putting a lot of work on us.
Did you try to Google yourself or log in to a few of our sponsors websites to find out.
Acans and Blasto's I have to give that to you as still today many ppl think they are the same, but they're not.
Let me see what I can drum up for you.

[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

OP
OP
Andi

Andi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A TON of work, I know! I've tried a number of sites and forums and even asked at my local shop, but keep running into "look for level of fluff and poof" haha. If I could even learn the difference between some of them, I might be able to ask better questions, or at least have a better starting point.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
attachment.jpeg
Ok so lets start off with blastomussa. Theres 2 common types, merletti witch tend to have smaller polyps, and welsi witch are larger. I always tell a new hobbyest when their not sure, to feed the polyp. It should close up like an inside out umbrella compared to acans/micros have feeders that push food to the mouth

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2016-07-06-01-20-47.png
Favia/favites (sorry i cannot tell the difference as some morphs are way too similar, tend to encrust forever, but dont have puffy puffy polyps like acans do. Favia cannot stretch a polyp out when the lights are dim but they could send a sweeper to devour her neighbor

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2016-06-04-15-59-19.png
Screenshot_2016-06-03-18-59-59.png
034 (1024x683).jpg
acans aka micromussa are basically now classified as the same witch honestly i dont blame them. Ive had micromussa polyps blowup to the size of large banki polyps. Acans tend to have donut looking polyps with a mouth and feeders that protrude from the middle. They encrust skin like everything else

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Theres also echinatas bowerbankies wilsonis. Now as for care, theyre all different, not just the different species but each different piece you aquire. Generally they all like low to medium lighting. I dont think you can under light them. They do appreciate medium to higher flow but prefer lower flow, just make sure the skin is not pushing against the skeleton.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started back into reefing 1.5 years ago, and mind you I have had many saltwater tanks since the 80's. I walked into a store when I started up again, and the guys was like "what kind of corals are you going to put in the tank?" "sps, lps, softies?" I look at him like he is from another planet:). After a year and a half back into the hobby, and some 50+ corals in my tank and helping other. I know what they are but still can not pronounce some to the types of corals. Also the trend seems to be to name corals other than what they really are. Here is a simple coral ID site like reefing in general take you time for the reason you are not going to learn over night.

You can also throw a picture up and we will help try to identify it.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone tell me if this is a blasto? I bought it thinking it was but now not sure. It doesn't appear happy at the bottom. Lights out, it does put out feeding tentacles. Other blastos I've had were more puffy.
20210825_165910.jpg

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the Tidal Gardens Youtube channel, Than makes amazing coral spotlight videos.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back