Nori mess

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Today when I was taking the piece of nori(1”x2”) that was almost untouched out of the tank it disintegrated and made a huge mess in tank.

I tried to remove as much as I can but only manage to get the big chunks. The tank is just a week old will it cause anything like ammonia spike?
I’m also taking my filter socks out tomorrow and switching it to filter floss+cup set up. But I’m sure some nori flakes is just hidden somewhere in display tank. Thanks in advance.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Today when I was taking the piece of nori(1”x2”) that was almost untouched out of the tank it disintegrated and made a huge mess in tank.

I tried to remove as much as I can but only manage to get the big chunks. The tank is just a week old will it cause anything like ammonia spike?
I’m also taking my filter socks out tomorrow and switching it to filter floss+cup set up. But I’m sure some nori flakes is just hidden somewhere in display tank. Thanks in advance.
Not likely an issue. How large is the aquarium? How did you cycle the aquarium?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just confirming, do you have a tang in an aquarium a week old?
Super Troopers Police GIF

Got here as quick as we could.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it is messy but if you have fish that love eating it’s gone before that stage. Cuc might have a go at the loose bits. Get a proper peg for holding it close to the surface . My shrimps eat it off the peg . Good luck

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely an issue. How large is the aquarium? How did you cycle the aquarium?
It’s 65g, I added three bottle of fritz turbo start 900 then a tomini tang as my LFS suggest.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 65g, I added three bottle of fritz turbo start 900 then a tomini tang as my LFS suggest.
OK, thanks.

Just wondering, are you monitoring ammonia?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My LFS recommends me to get a tomini tang after adding the fritz turbo start lol
TBH that doesn’t sound right, perhaps doable but that wouldn’t have been my suggested way to start a tank …
Do you have any snails or hermits or shrimp?
if not, that would be my next move regardless

added. Tank thread maybe to take advantage of all the experienced advocates here on R2R … wishing you success

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all.

It gets soft and pliable when wet. It falls apart in my tank and are simple picked up by the fish causing no issues with parameters

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH that doesn’t sound right, perhaps doable but that wouldn’t have been my suggested way to start a tank …

if not, that would be my next move regardless

added. Tank thread maybe to take advantage of all the experienced advocates here on R2R … wishing you success
Yeah I was skeptical about having a tang as first fish but so far everything seems to be fine. I do plan to add a shrimp next, any recommendations on something that will eat things on the sand bed?

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was skeptical about having a tang as first fish but so far everything seems to be fine. I do plan to add a shrimp next, any recommendations on something that will eat things on the sand bed?
Blue leg hermits and extra shells and nassarias snails

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scarlet hermit crabs
Mexican turbo snails
1 fighting conch
Some nassarius snails

You can get a shrimp like a cleaner or peppermint but if you plan to get coral be aware these have a reputation for pulling food out of corals mouths and irritating them

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back