Different species of clownfish

SaltLifeSoul17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the different clownfish out there I chose a small misbar blood orange clownfish. Would it be possible to pair/breed it to a variety of percula clownfish?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Based on ORAs naming structure, a blood orange clownfish is a hybrid cross between a Maroon and an Ocellaris. So crossing that again with a Percula is possible, but it likely will be more challenging because of the more aggressive nature of the Maroon. Have you considered getting another blood orange from ORA/Live Aquaria?

OP
OP
SaltLifeSoul17

SaltLifeSoul17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on ORAs naming structure, a blood orange clownfish is a hybrid cross between a Maroon and an Ocellaris. So crossing that again with a Percula is possible, but it likely will be more challenging because of the more aggressive nature of the Maroon. Have you considered getting another blood orange from ORA/Live Aquaria?
I got this one from my LFS and she’s not aggressive towards her other tank mates. I wasn’t sure if I should add another blood orange because I know they can be aggressive but I don’t want too much aggression in my tank so I was opting for a more peaceful alternative. She’s about 2in and displays more characteristics of an ocellaris than maroon so I was just wondering if it was possible.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That makes sense and it is possible. Remember that clownfish aggression during the pairing phase and mating phase can be very different than during other times. Good luck with whatever you decide!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back