different types of active carbon prices ?

Xenia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello im a dutch reefster and after a depressing time of my life i want to give my reef tank the tlc she deserves.
For start I want to use active carbon and rowaphos because i have phosfates in my tank and carbon never hurts.

Im looking at the active carbon and im like uh :

pond active carbon 5l at 22.95 euro ( for fresh water ponds )
superfish active carbon 10l at 42,54 euro ( the budget line for freshwater tanks in the netherlands )

and then you get to the prices of the saltwater active carbon and im like uh..... ?

rowa carbon 5l at 44.95 euro
aquaforest carbon 5l at 48 euro

is it a easy money grab, because i dont really like to overspend my money on something i need to trow out every couple of days weeks ?
i dont have a money tree and if i can have the same result at 22 euro instead of 45 for the same item.

What is your opinion on this matter, what do you use and what should i buy.

I dont have expensive corals, just some soft corals and green bubble tips, the tank itself is around 350/400l
it has 5 fish 2 hermet crabs and tons and tons of snails ( i should really start removing those bij 50% )

The only thing i will add is some typ of fish are shrimp/snail to eat my aptasia.

i know i can dunk the carbon in a net in the sump, but rowaphos needs a reactor, i need a easy clean looking reactor like aquamedic or nyos ( thats the typ or reactor i like )anybody has some tips on that aswell for me ? ( the carbon can be in the reactor aswell if i get a dubble chamber one )

Thank you in advance

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The freshwater stuff is the same thing and will do the job. Avoid the type made from coconut shells as something about the pore sizes isn’t as good. There are usually some differences in the pricier carbon, lignite based for example….but I’d be hard pressed to say it’s enough of a difference to justify double the cost, especially since you don’t have major concerns with contamination or chemical warfare. For GFO any reactor will do the job, even canisters like for RODI filters. So it’s really up to you what you prefer.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back