Activated carbon a necessity?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little activated carbon in a short time is good, but don't make the mistake I did one time by putting a lot in a reactor for about 3 days running, I had a black film all over in my tank, and my Toadstool turned gray.

To be honest that just sounds like you tumbled the carbon or didn't rinse it.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest that just sounds like you tumbled the carbon or didn't rinse it.
No, I did rinse it well, it did tumbled a little, but it tumbles a lot more now since I use much less carbon, and again I have No problems with the many times that I use it

JustJoan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just wondering if I really need activated carbon? I have a torch, 3 hammer, 1 pipe organ, 1 toadstool, 1 Kenya tree, 2 frogspawn and one of those waving hands corals.

Do I need activated carbon? I just got over a Dino infestation and im terrified to add anything that will remove things.
Hi Alex. I am actually in the same boat you are. I just got over Dinos and I'm afraid to do anything to my tank that will bring them back or provide an opportunity for them. I put carbon in then I took it out. I did cut off some palys this week, so I added a small amount of carbon. I am just taking everything slow now. Dinos were a nightmare! Good luck!

OP
OP
alexanderthefishlover

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Alex. I am actually in the same boat you are. I just got over Dinos and I'm afraid to do anything to my tank that will bring them back or provide an opportunity for them. I put carbon in then I took it out. I did cut off some palys this week, so I added a small amount of carbon. I am just taking everything slow now. Dinos were a nightmare! Good luck!
I went and bought a bunch of live pods, and in still running UV. Right now the diatoms are taking over and some hair algae but 0 signs of Dino! Corlas look really happy and turned my skimmer back on which is keeping the phosphate at a semi high but stable level in balance with the increased nitrate to stimulate more algae growth to outcompete the Dino.

I decided NOT to do active carbon until I see a reason to add it. Right now everything is happy, and more colourful than ever before so I’m going to just leave it for now! Let the tank balance more naturally before I disrupt its current trajectory.

Let me know how yours goes with the added active carbon!

OP
OP
alexanderthefishlover

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! I saw a couple pieces of Dino today after running the skimmer all yesterday and through the night. Decided is shut that off again.

Even with all the diatoms and pods, it was able to grow a bit

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back