Dinkins Aquatic Gardens is Going Green!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens is committed to reducing the waste that goes into our oceans and landfills. Accordingly, we are excited to announce that we will soon be using exclusively environmentally-friendly packing and shipping material. We've been working hard on this, and have finally secured a source for biodegradable styrofoam shipping containers. We already use, and will continue to use, fully recyclable plastic bottles and packing paper. Simply recycle the outer shipping box, the bottles, and the packing paper, then throw away the 100% biodegradable styrofoam container.

Other vendors have traditionally approached the problem of styrofoam shipping containers in two ways. Either they opt for a different type of insulation that is not as effective, or they offer prepaid return shipping on their empty styrofoam containers (forgetting about the carbon footprint of that return shipment). We weren't happy with either solution: we want the best possible insulated shippers for our product, and we were alarmed by the emissions required to simply return an empty shipper to us. We're excited to have found a better way!

As soon as the new biodegradable shippers arrive, we will finish using our small existing supply of styrofoam and moving over to entirely biodegradable and recyclable packaging!

going green.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After multiple delays, our biodegradable boxes finally arrived yesterday! Once we use our current stock of boxes, we'll be transitioning completely to the new ones.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great! I always feel guilty receiving a giant styrofoam box that may ultimately harm the creatures and environment I claim to love by participating in this hobby. It's unfortunate the lack of engagement this thread has received. I hope more people will take note and demand vendors switch to sustainable shipping materials by taking their business to those that are actively trying to reduce the environmental impact of our hobby. I don't know your company but will check it out. Thanks for your efforts.

OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great! I always feel guilty receiving a giant styrofoam box that may ultimately harm the creatures and environment I claim to love by participating in this hobby. It's unfortunate the lack of engagement this thread has received. I hope more people will take note and demand vendors switch to sustainable shipping materials by taking their business to those that are actively trying to reduce the environmental impact of our hobby. I don't know your company but will check it out. Thanks for your efforts.
Thank you so much for your reply - I couldn't agree more! It was driving me crazy, thinking about the negative environmental footprint of styrofoam. Going green is a little more costly, but is well-worth it in every way.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back