Dino battle on brand new tank

ApexConsumer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this sucks. What i convinced myself was just the algae phase of cycling a new tank turned out to be a dino infestation (brown stringy algae with bubbles trapped in it). I didn't bother with pictures since it looks exactly like what i see on the internet. First time dealing with this problem ever.

I bought and dosed copepods ten days ago, stopped doing water changes, started dosing microbacter 7 and turned off my skimmer yesterday. Just completed three days of darkness last night. Right now i only have corals and no fish.

I was frankly amazed how many copepods were crawling over everything when i pulled the cardboard off. The dino has receded dramatically but is still present.

I plan to scale back the lighting schedule and add a bunch more rock to the sump. I already have some chaeto in there.

I do plan to look for a microscope if the battle continues much longer as i have read that treatment varies by species. I always prefer the natural approach to resolve problems which led to the current procedure, but that will change if this continues to be a problem.

I was considering trying hydrogen peroxide to raise the ph next. Does anyone else have any advice?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 203 71.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back