Dino battle on brand new tank

ApexConsumer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this sucks. What i convinced myself was just the algae phase of cycling a new tank turned out to be a dino infestation (brown stringy algae with bubbles trapped in it). I didn't bother with pictures since it looks exactly like what i see on the internet. First time dealing with this problem ever.

I bought and dosed copepods ten days ago, stopped doing water changes, started dosing microbacter 7 and turned off my skimmer yesterday. Just completed three days of darkness last night. Right now i only have corals and no fish.

I was frankly amazed how many copepods were crawling over everything when i pulled the cardboard off. The dino has receded dramatically but is still present.

I plan to scale back the lighting schedule and add a bunch more rock to the sump. I already have some chaeto in there.

I do plan to look for a microscope if the battle continues much longer as i have read that treatment varies by species. I always prefer the natural approach to resolve problems which led to the current procedure, but that will change if this continues to be a problem.

I was considering trying hydrogen peroxide to raise the ph next. Does anyone else have any advice?

OP
OP
ApexConsumer

ApexConsumer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. The dino just melted away after doing the blackout. Copepod population still very healthy, haven't turned the skimmer back on or done a water change since.... Corals all seem very healthy. I didn't want to declare victory because of all of the horror stories on the web about dino. Seems to be gone.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back