Dino ID

Richard Terrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
I posted this in a general forum before I found the Nuisance Algae forum. Mods feel free to delete the general post. I have what I'm pretty sure is a dino outbreak in a client's tank. I let the nitrates and phosphates get to 0 for too long and well...Anyway, I just wanted to see if I can get a consensus on the ID. Pretty sure they're Ostreopsis.
Thanks in advance!
Rich

dino 1.jpg

Dino 2.jpg

Dino 3.jpg

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porocentrum I believe. I don't see the sesame seed shape of osteropsis, I see an oval shape with no beak so I suspect porocentrum.

OP
OP
R

Richard Terrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Took another sample last night and rushed home and put it on the scope. Nothing was moving for some reason in this sample or the original. But here is video (again, sorry for the crappy shots. My scope/phone combo isn't good for this stuff). Magnification is 10X on eyepiece and 10x objective (so 100x?). Most of the dinos are on the sand, but they do occur on the rock. Some snail loss but there are still snails and urchins crawling around. They don't seem to be bothering the corals much, if at all.
dino 3 3-4-20.jpg

dino 1 3-4-20.jpg
dino 2 3-4-20.jpg
dino 3 3-4-20.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little more confident in prorocentrum after last round of pics.

OP
OP
R

Richard Terrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @taricha ! The tank is SLOWLY coming around with nitrate and phosphate dosing (mostly P), some mechanical removal via siphoning thru filter sock, and I dropped most of the red & blue wavelengths out of the lighting. I am seeing more cyano and GHA but hoping we can manage those more readily.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back