Dino ID Help

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Been battling some Dinos. Picked up a microscope and was wondering if I could get some help IDing what type I have. I hope I did the pics right. If not let me know. Thanks in advance

20240209_154436.jpg 20240209_154430.jpg

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here this might help. I should also point out that I've been battling this for a few months now but about a month or so ago I added ocean rock and it has really helped. The last 2 weeks I've noticed a huge decline in the amount

Attachments

• 20240210_074243.jpg
    20240210_074243.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240210_074232.jpg
    20240210_074232.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 26

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is this tank

That matters tremendously in fix options, much more so than species id

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a UV sterilizer going already if not from what I have read that works as well since they get into the water at night. Run it slow as possible and oversize the UV.

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a UV sterilizer going already if not from what I have read that works as well since they get into the water at night. Run it slow as possible and oversize the UV.
I don't. I've been thinking about it as a last resort but they seem to be going away on their own. The tank is only about a year and a half old and was started with dry rock. So it's not surprising I'm getting them. Gonna keep the UV on thr back burner just in case. No reason to spend the money yet

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to look at Brandon’s sanded rinse thread but it’s easier with a smaller tank but not impossible with larger systems.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason I asked is this:

the current method of dinos treatments we can see in the stickies up top treats 100% of dinos tanks the same way regardless of tank volume.

no distinction in action is given to small vs medium systems that may have ways to handle the system a large tanker could never do, we can click the pages of the dinos thread from the sticky to see how many times a full cure is earned. I assess it at 5% or so, 95% of the time a full cure isn't earned we can simply see from the pics going page to page.

rip clean threads don't work that way. any rc thread we can link has shocking cure rates, laser clean tanks.

the smaller the gallonage, the easier it is to use an approach with a 95% cure rate vs a 5% one. 50 gallons? when the going gets tougher I bet it wouldn't take 4-5 hours of special cleaning to wrangle that system into compliance.

if it was a ten gallon setup we could do it in an hour no hassle, at fifty you'll need to be more stressed before the effort is worth it.

so, if using conventional means only gets you what the stickies show up top, consider a different way. it would take some work but the outcome pics on file are stellar, and going on for years and years in some rip clean threads.

simply removing your entire sandbed, and beating dinos in the bare bottom condition is what I'd default to if they're not beaten by the easier means. now u have something to fall back on

UV is for sure indicated at any point, or as backup. it's a powerful tool here but it's best used as a preventative, from the clean condition, not as a remover when installed in the invaded condition.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the marker you'll see for time to change approach is when thick algae starts to blanket the rocks. don't think that's part of dino's battling, its caused by the way people battle dinos and could be just as hard to beat using the methods from the stickies up top. hundreds of dinos tanks there simply turned to gha tanks and never got fixed, so don't allow that standard in your tank.

time to change course would be if these dinos don't go away, and start to alternate into any other coinvasion.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the thread for Rio Clean would be a heck of a lot easier with my 25g vs your 50g. If I can’t get these Dino’s under control then that’s probably what I will do. Just have to get the Bigolor out of its hole in the rocks. Find all the sand snails or just get new ones if I can’t get them all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back