What variety of Dinos are these?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know what type of dinos these are, but wanted to confirm with others here. I hooked up the microscope and video camera eyepiece can was able to take some I hope good pictures for help from you all. I also did a measurement in um using the software as shown in the picture.

Thanks

PIc11.jpg Pic13.jpg PIc14.jpg PIc12.jpg

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like large cell amphidinium to me

Also curious what microscope you have? Those are some good pics and measurements are sweet.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like large cell amphidinium to me

Also curious what microscope you have? Those are some good pics and measurements are sweet.
dang - I was afraid to see that - yeah, I think it's Amphidinium - now to find the best way to deal with it.

The microscope I have is from Swift optics - Amazon has it and I bought the version with the Electronic Eyepiece - amazing product!

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
dang - I was afraid to see that - yeah, I think it's Amphidinium - now to find the best way to deal with it.

The microscope I have is from Swift optics - Amazon has it and I bought the version with the Electronic Eyepiece - amazing product!
I have had the best success with carbon dosing Bacto Balance at night, dosing water glass (~40% sodium silicate) about 2ml per day per 100 gallons until you see diatoms on the microscope and keep the bloom going. A lot of people say no carbon dosing, but I found it did not hurt doing it at night and I think it helped promote growth of competition. Also, goes without saying but keep nutrients up, especially if carbon dosing. Also, you can lookup Mack's dino group on Facebook. Their approach is similar and they also emphasize getting trace elements in line, I think this is also to do with the competitors and restoring the balance that dinos disrupted. As long as there is an imbalance, that is what the dino like because they are better competitors than others.

Other than that it's really just time, patience and normal tank maintenance like adding pods, macro algae is good too, phyto dosing, etc. Emphasize diversity of microbiome.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the best success with carbon dosing Bacto Balance at night, dosing water glass (~40% sodium silicate) about 2ml per day per 100 gallons until you see diatoms on the microscope and keep the bloom going. A lot of people say no carbon dosing, but I found it did not hurt doing it at night and I think it helped promote growth of competition. Also, goes without saying but keep nutrients up, especially if carbon dosing. Also, you can lookup Mack's dino group on Facebook. Their approach is similar and they also emphasize getting trace elements in line, I think this is also to do with the competitors and restoring the balance that dinos disrupted. As long as there is an imbalance, that is what the dino like because they are better competitors than others.

Other than that it's really just time, patience and normal tank maintenance like adding pods, macro algae is good too, phyto dosing, etc. Emphasize diversity of microbiome.

Thank you! I wonder if DinoX would be an option to consider as well - I was told it works for this type of Dyno. But yes, patience it is..

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would not use chemicals until absolute last resort. I actually had it on my last setup but ended up selling off the livestock and starting over with Tampa Bay Saltwater rock instead of using Dino-X.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back