I ID'd prorocentrum dino and some other golden circular thing i presume is algae? Does anyone know what this is?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally bought a microscope in my losing battle against dinos. The UV filter slowed down the spread, but it isnt stopping them. Neither is dosing NO3 and PO4. My next attempt will be the Dr Tims chemical methods on the way in the mail.
But a large portion of the stuff apparently isnt all dinos. its some wierd cicular golden algae type thing. Does anyone know what this is? You can see the prorocentrum dino on right, but the left is what?
dino ID.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly Chrysophytes...golden algae.
Thats what i was thinking. so it looks like i have Prorocentrum, chrysophytes, and also some unidentified 3rd dino. Have you seen these? two are long elongated, but with no central hole like prorocentrum, and one small circular one swimming in a circle on an axis? do i have 3 types? SMH

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thats what i was thinking. so it looks like i have Prorocentrum, chrysophytes, and also some unidentified 3rd dino. Have you seen these? two are long elongated, but with no central hole like prorocentrum, and one small circular one swimming in a circle on an axis? do i have 3 types? SMH

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Video does not play on my device
Please post you tube video and what is your phosphate and nitrate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not actually sure what that spinning organism is. It doesn't look like any of the typical well-known dinos that are more common in our tanks. I don't believe the elongated organisms are dinos, possibly just some other organisms that can live in our tanks.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video does not play on my device
Please post you tube video and what is your phosphate and nitrate level?
Is tank at or near a window?
Here is a youtube link.

My tank parameters before
70 Gallon, fish and mixed reef coral
Nitrate before was 1
Phosphates=0.00
Alk= 10.1
Salinity 1.023
PH- 8.1

My tank parameters now
Nitrate- 9.6
Phosphates 0.2
Alk 9.8
Salinity 1.022
PH- 8.0

I bought some liquid brightwell neo phos and neo nitro to raise my nutrients. I bought a UV filter that doesnt seem to be doing anything. probably because i have dino that doesnt migrate to water like osteo. Funny because initially i thought i had osteo before i bought a microscope because my water got cleaner.....but they def didnt go away.

My tank is not near sunlight. I run weak whites, heavy blue spectrum. Average par 12" below is about 200. Par at bottom is about 80 roughly.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not actually sure what that spinning organism is. It doesn't look like any of the typical well-known dinos that are more common in our tanks. I don't believe the elongated organisms are dinos, possibly just some other organisms that can live in our tanks.
oh you could see it. i wonder if chrysophytes move. it doesnt look like dino, the spinning one. but what are the long oval dinos that are swimming around? doesnt look like any of the ones i have seen on the ID chart.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the algae in the tank?
yes but only after i cleaned it off. i scrubbed it with toothbrush every night. in first image, which is hard to see, its only dino. if you look at top
Dino 1 (1).jpg

The second image is taken a couple weeks later, (last night), and shows some new golden yellow green algae stuff i dont know what it is. Its like the yellow spots everywhere i have never seen it until a few days ago once i started dosing silicates. The dino was brown on arrow on right, not yellowgreen like arrow i drew on the left.

Dino 1 (2).jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a youtube link.

My tank parameters before
70 Gallon, fish and mixed reef coral
Nitrate before was 1
Phosphates=0.00
Alk= 10.1
Salinity 1.023
PH- 8.1

My tank parameters now
Nitrate- 9.6
Phosphates 0.2
Alk 9.8
Salinity 1.022
PH- 8.0

I bought some liquid brightwell neo phos and neo nitro to raise my nutrients. I bought a UV filter that doesnt seem to be doing anything. probably because i have dino that doesnt migrate to water like osteo. Funny because initially i thought i had osteo before i bought a microscope because my water got cleaner.....but they def didnt go away.

My tank is not near sunlight. I run weak whites, heavy blue spectrum. Average par 12" below is about 200. Par at bottom is about 80 roughly.

Yes Dino and appears to be ostreo
Siphon bedding and turn off lights for now
Add liquid bacteria at 1ml per 10 gallons

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh you could see it. i wonder if chrysophytes move. it doesnt look like dino, the spinning one. but what are the long oval dinos that are swimming around? doesnt look like any of the ones i have seen on the ID chart.
Chrysophytes don't move around. There is a type of dino that does spin around a central point, but I haven't seen them spin that fast. I don't think the spinning one is a dino, or at least a common type of dino. I would be really surprised if the other moving elongated organisms were dinos...I don't think those in particular are dinos.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Where are you seeing ostreopsis (or any other type of dino) in that small video?
Looking on a phone but getting to larger screen in an hour as the cells in video moving quickly

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you seeing ostreopsis (or any other type of dino) in that small video?

Chrysophytes don't move around. There is a type of dino that does spin around a central point, but I haven't seen them spin that fast. I don't think the spinning one is a dino, or at least a common type of dino. I would be really surprised if the other moving elongated organisms were dinos...I don't think those in particular are dinos.
See thats what i was thinking!! I saw a video that said Osteo spin around in a circle so thats probably why he thought Osteo. BUT. It doesnt look like an osteo. It doesnt have beak. It moves REALLY fast. It doesnt have the same internal look of Osteo. I dont know WHAT it is.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uploaded a second video too. In this you can see the chrysophytes that aren’t moving. But you see oblong oval shaped what I presume are Dino’s plus you can do small circular what I presume are Dino’s. Same as other video. I just can’t ID them

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I uploaded a second video too. In this you can see the chrysophytes that aren’t moving. But you see oblong oval shaped what I presume are Dino’s plus you can do small circular what I presume are Dino’s. Same as other video. I just can’t ID them

Freezing frames. either ostreo or closer to amphidium from what I can tell. need a much longer video.
The other spores look like algae.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freezing frames. either ostreo or closer to amphidium from what I can tell. need a much longer video.
The other spores look like algae.
whats crazy is these were scrapped from my glass. they are COVERING my glass everywhere. i have to scrape them all off daily, and everywhere i read says dinos dont stick to glass. only thing i can think of is the golden algae chrysophytes are giving a slime surface for the dinos to stick too.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I woud say the moving ones are Large Cell Amphidinium dinos in this new video. The oblong things with a spikey tail aren't dinos, not sure what they are, though.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woud say the moving ones are Large Cell Amphidinium dinos in this new video. The oblong things with a spikey tail aren't dinos, not sure what they are, though.
The long things with spikey tails i ID'd as chrysophytes. See this image of golden algaes from an ID website. But anything that is moving, is dinos. i know i have prorocentrum. 100% ID on those. but the smaller circular ones im thinking are either ostreo (even though they dont have a pointy end like the ID charts show) or amphindium. Only reason i didnt think they were large cell amph's is because they dont gather on my sand much. they are all over my rocks and glass. But thanks for taking time to respond and share your thoughts its much appreciated.

1708007582323.png
1708007630177.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back