My tricks to beating Ostreopsis dinoflagellates

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I noticed some dinos about 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure the triggering event was me trying to really kill off some hair algae. I scrubbed rocks a whole lot, disturbed the sandbed, and my nutrients got too low. Amateur move. The system was not happy with this. Dinos quickly ensued.

The day I noticed them, I IDd them as Ostreopsis with a microscope. I panicked a little and tried a 3 day black out, raised the temps, and fed a lot. This made it worse, because my nutrients were still too low, but there was a ton of organic matter building up that the dinos loved. My corals were ticked at this point.

What did work was this:
Dosing nutrients. I don't know my phosphate, but I assumed it was low. I dosed it up to .08 (according to the bottle calculations, this probably isn't accurate because I don't know where I started.)
Dosing nitrates up to 10. I have had a low nutrient system since the beginning. My corals absolutely loved the added nutrients.
Raising the temp up to 82.
Dosing several types of bacteria (Microbacter7, Dr. tims waste away, and Dr. Tims Ecobalance)
I vacuumed the sandbed every day, using a filter sock to collect OM and dinos.
Using a powerhead to disturb them. I paired this with a few filter socks in the tank. The dinos like to collect on the filter socks. I changed them out every day.
I got rid of my lovely Red Ogo. As beautiful as it was, it was magnet for both organic matter and dinos. Plus, they were too efficient at removing my nitrates. I had a good bit of it.
I bought a cheap ($15) 9 watt Green Killing Machine off Facebook marketplace. It is definitely undersized for my 40 gal tank, but I didn't have money to spend, and apparently didn't need to. The dinos were gone in about 3 days after putting it in.

That's it. They're gone in 3 weeks, one of those weeks was me making it worse. I had a huge fear of dinos, and thought I'd be struggling for ages with it. I thought I'd have to dump a ton of money into UV or lose a bunch of corals.

I am just glad to have the worry gone. Hopefully you all are able to win against the dinos. They cause some anxiety for sure.

Edited: I kept my skimmer on. Initially I had it off, but the pH dropped too low. The carbon scrubber really helps things. I didn't reduce my photoperiod, but I did switch to all blue.

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I noticed some dinos about 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure the triggering event was me trying to really kill off some hair algae. I scrubbed rocks a whole lot, disturbed the sandbed, and my nutrients got too low. Amateur move. The system was not happy with this. Dinos quickly ensued.

The day I noticed them, I IDd them as Ostreopsis with a microscope. I panicked a little and tried a 3 day black out, raised the temps, and fed a lot. This made it worse, because my nutrients were still too low, but there was a ton of organic matter building up that the dinos loved. My corals were ticked at this point.

What did work was this:
Dosing nutrients. I don't know my phosphate, but I assumed it was low. I dosed it up to .08 (according to the bottle calculations, this probably isn't accurate because I don't know where I started.)
Dosing nitrates up to 10. I have had a low nutrient system since the beginning. My corals absolutely loved the added nutrients.
Dosing several types of bacteria (Microbacter7, Dr. tims waste away, and Dr. Tims Ecobalance)
Using a powerhead to disturb them. I paired this with a few filter socks in the tank. The dinos like to collect on the filter socks. I changed them out every day.
I got rid of my lovely Red Ogo. As beautiful as it was, it was magnet for both organic matter and dinos. Plus, they were too efficient at removing my nitrates. I had a good bit of it.
I bought a cheap ($15) 9 watt Green Killing Machine off Facebook marketplace. It is definitely undersized for my 40 gal tank, but I didn't have money to spend, and apparently didn't need to. The dinos were gone in about 3 days after putting it in.

That's it. They're gone in 3 weeks, one of those weeks was me making it worse. I had a huge fear of dinos, and thought I'd be struggling for ages with it. I thought I'd have to dump a ton of money into UV or lose a bunch of corals.

I am just glad to have the worry gone. Hopefully you all are able to win against the dinos. They cause some anxiety for sure.

Edited: I kept my skimmer on. Initially I had it off, but the pH dropped too low. The carbon scrubber really helps things. I didn't reduce my photoperiod, but I did switch to all blue.
Thanks for sharing!

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

What did work was this:

i know lots of ppl that said the green machine either didnt work for them at all, or took like a month to work. i just beat dinos from a full tank completely covered, even covering corals, to NONE in less than 36 hours. a strong UV sterilizer, the aqua 15w advantage, and a toothbrush zip tied to a gravel vac did it for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back