Dino or brown jelly disease?!

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have recently been getting a large amount of corals of all different varieties. Leathers, large zoa rock colonies, euphyillia, shrooms, montis, favias, acans, cyphastrea etc. Everything has been dipped in revive, some had some h202 for hair algea and rinsed multiple times before going into my frag tank.

Everything is doing great, except one... About 3 weeks ago I got a really nice Colt colony, about the size of a fist. One day started leaning over, did a few water changes, moved it around a bit. No better. Let it be for a few days and noticed it melting badly. So I went to pull it out and there was almost nothing left of it, it fell completely apart when moved.... I syphoned as much of what fell apart out and dipped what was left in revive rinsed it and back in the tank it went for the slight chance it makes it back.

Now a few weeks ago I have been noticing some brown slimmy stuff in little peices all over the tank, grows pretty quick, on the sand bed, around the corals and even on some of the corals flesh. I syphon it all out twice a day with a small airline hose, and replace about a gallon of water with new mixed everytime. Its super easy to syphon.

Zoa's, palys, lps and sps all look good, great color, and good polyp extension except my 3 Indo torches. No signs of bjd on them, just lost color, assuming from acclimating to new tank. My hammers and frogspawns look fantastic.

Does bjd only grow on coral flesh, and does this sound more like dino? Possibly a spike in nutrients from the Colt coral decaying feeding dino? I am running cheato in the return section and a carbon bag.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Note this is all in my coral only qt tank

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly disease is only on corals....it doesn’t grow on sand or rocks

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly disease is only on corals....it doesn’t grow on sand or rocks

Thank you for your response. That's what I was gathering from what I've been reading studying, just looking for some reassurance. Never thought I'd be glad to have a nusiance algea haha. I'll take it over any coral disease all day.

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am i off base by comparing the two?, I know that they are entirely different things. I have never dealt with brown jelly disease, but have certainly went a few rounds with dino. From pictures, bjd shows some resemblance of dino.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see how they can looks alike. Can you post a pic ?

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I already did my nightly husbandry and did all my siphoning for the night. If it shows up tomorrow or soon, I will certainly snap a photo of it and get it up here for some more help.

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to let it grow out a bit yesterday and this morning. I have a picture and it looks like dino the more I look at it. Hopefully this picture is clear enough.

IMG_20181120_153649508.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response and confirmation. I'd rather that over bjd... So at least I have had practice with this stuff. And it's probably related to why some of the euphyillia are bleached. High nutrients.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back