Dino or diatoms

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having a hard time identifying what my brown algae is in my frag tank. I suspect dinos so I got the best photo i could for an ID. Hope its good enough
WIN_20210316_13_15_29_Pro.jpg

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high did you magnify that? I am trying to magnify and post whats in my tanks as well! Sorry I have no answers for you! Good luck!

OP
OP
B

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue lol. Its a 20 dollar scope that i could only get in focus at that exact zoom.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like ostreo

First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
B

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I had actually "assumed it was dinos" and have been doing h2o2 for about a week and a bit and it is helping. The fact it shrunk at night made me really think dinos.

@vetteguy53081 when you say bacteria does vibrant count? In response to all this ive added some rock work to the frag tank on top of the liverock in the sump to help with stability. I soaked all the rocks for a week in reefbrite enhance liverock which is also a bacteria. With both vibrant and reefbrite enhance being recently added do you think i still need to add more like a mb7? The tank was originally cycled a year ago using mb7.

My po4 is close to unreadable and my nitrates are 5 (not sure i trust this, going to look into other testing methods) I dose kno3 in my large display system so i have that available if people seem to think its a "nutrient imbalance" issue.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ba
Thanks for the input, I had actually "assumed it was dinos" and have been doing h2o2 for about a week and a bit and it is helping. The fact it shrunk at night made me really think dinos.

@vetteguy53081 when you say bacteria does vibrant count? In response to all this ive added some rock work to the frag tank on top of the liverock in the sump to help with stability. I soaked all the rocks for a week in reefbrite enhance liverock which is also a bacteria. With both vibrant and reefbrite enhance being recently added do you think i still need to add more like a mb7? The tank was originally cycled a year ago using mb7.

My po4 is close to unreadable and my nitrates are 5 (not sure i trust this, going to look into other testing methods) I dose kno3 in my large display system so i have that available if people seem to think its a "nutrient imbalance" issue.
Bacteria such as bacter 7
Vibrant is not a bacteria

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please don't lower your nitrates any further and do increase your PO4 to at least 0.06 . Contrary to some information posted, elevated nutrients do not cause dinos or "feed" them. Very low/absent nutrients don't really "cause" dinos but they do create an environment where dinos easily get the upper hand. Lowering nutrients will reduce the competition's ability to compete with the dinos for space in the tank.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off, looks like dinos.

Second, do NOT lower your nitrate or phosphate. They are not elevated currently. They are probably zero or very close to it.

Third, do NOT do a water change. One of the worst ideas there is when you have dinos. They "feed" off them.

Fourth, Vibrant IS a bacteria. Just not the kind of bacteria we are looking for when dealing with dinos.

Lastly, if it is ostreopsis then a UV will work wonders and clear them up in a day or two. Issue is a new strain tends to move in like amphidinium and they are far worse. So make sure you get some serious biodiversity going and dirty up the tank. Dose NO3 and PO4 if needed. Overfeed. Add fish if you can safely.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ostreo
I did h2o2 and vibrant - as well as kept no3 po4 at higher levels. Started with 3 day black out.
After 1 st month saw major reduction. Stopped h2o2 and vibrant. Still saw improvement.
No3= 10-20ppm
Po4= .15

By end of 2 nd month there is no visible signs what so ever. I’ve Left po4 at .15 and stopped worrying about no3. So far Tank is loving the extra nutrients .
B0C7E276-47FA-4DC8-A5B6-C9B80E8F378A.jpeg
FDB2B022-C81B-4CEA-83D6-0B88F7A08C1D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From the Vibrant web site.

Screenshot (54).png
Yes , itts blended- Not a complete bacteria. Additionally, vinegar content is fuel/food for dino. You dont want any vinegar in tank

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no water changes with dinos?

is it because that would lower the nutrients? Or as someone said above the dinos feed of a water changes but if that is the case what are they feeding of that is in the fresh water?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back