Dino vs diatoms vs Cyano during a new tank cycle

exprobratio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Was hoping to get some advice on my new tank cycle. Its about 1.5 months in and recently started to get a diatom outbreak with a fine brown coat over everything then recently I noticed some hair like strands popping up and now they are everywhere! When I gravel vac they seems to go away then reappear pretty quickly. What is it? Dino, algae, Cyano, more diatoms!?

Current tank Parameters:
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0.1
Nitrites: 0.05
Nitrates: 12.9
IMG_1382.png

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms doesn’t look like that. I’m inclined to say dinos, but you need to microscope to be certain.

OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms doesn’t look like that. I’m inclined to say dinos, but you need to microscope to be certain.
I did order a microscope! Coming Wednesday. Sorta excited to play around and make a slide again….haven’t done that since high school. I ordered one that can capture digital photos so I can post here. Curious what other people think too.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post it here. And get yourself a phosphate test kit too. If it is Dino’s, that test kit will be your new best friend. :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following having the same issue. my phosphate is between .00 & .1 typically closer to .00

lemme knowwwww
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s dinos. I looked at your build thread and it appears you used GFO pretty aggressively to strip all the phosphates in a short period of time.

I’m not saying it’s 100% Dinos, but I would try to keep a tank with detectable phosphates from 0.04ppm to 0.012ppm because it’s generally healthy for your tank inhabitants, and it will encourage biodiversity that will combat dinos in case it is.

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s dinos. I looked at your build thread and it appears you used GFO pretty aggressively to strip all the phosphates in a short period of time.

I’m not saying it’s 100% Dinos, but I would try to keep a tank with detectable phosphates from 0.04ppm to 0.012ppm because it’s generally healthy for your tank inhabitants, and it will encourage biodiversity that will combat dinos in case it is.
i use it when it gets high for about 12 hours at a time to not strip it to 0.

OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following having the same issue. my phosphate is between .00 & .1 typically closer to .00

lemme knowwwww
So ya defiantly Dinos - Ostreopsis in particular! Got a microscope to confirm. Was actually pretty fun to make the slide and do the identification. There are also diatoms scattered about on the sand bed (actually all over) too.

Looking into Osteropsis I noticed they move into he water column at night. Which was defiantly true because all the long stands were gone then reappeared during the day. I got a UV sterilizer for the tank a literally in 1 day the dinos were almost gone!!

Got the Aqua Ultraviolet 57watt (125gallon tank) and set it up for about 900g/hr. I bet the Dinos would have cleared eventually but it was pretty crazy how quickly the Dinos cleared with that.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ya defiantly Dinos - Ostreopsis in particular! Got a microscope to confirm. Was actually pretty fun to make the slide and do the identification. There are also diatoms scattered about on the sand bed (actually all over) too.

Looking into Osteropsis I noticed they move into he water column at night. Which was defiantly true because all the long stands were gone then reappeared during the day. I got a UV sterilizer for the tank a literally in 1 day the dinos were almost gone!!

Got the Aqua Ultraviolet 57watt (125gallon tank) and set it up for about 900g/hr. I bet the Dinos would have cleared eventually but it was pretty crazy how quickly the Dinos cleared with that.
That’s amazing!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back