Starting/Cycling a new tank - Newbie

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I just wanted some people's opinions/advice on how I have started my tank. I understand that there are many ways to start and cycle, it is all new to me. Currently, I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank with the following upgrades:
-Syncra Silent 0.5
-Cobalt 75 watt heater
-Tunze Nano ATO

I do plan on upgrading the lid/cover and lighting setup (to an AI Prime) later down the road. Inside the tank, I have added 1.5-2in of CaribSea Fiji Pink sand (washed with reef water at local fish shop), 2 pieces of dry rock, and 2 pieces of wet live rock from my LFS. Lastly, I added Brightwell MicroBacter QuikCycl (recommended doses) to start the cycle. So far, everything looks to be alright, however, my ammonia is around 3-4.0ppm and nitrate of about 5+ppm. I am not sure if these are good number or too high, but over the past 5 days they haven't changed much. I was possibly thinking about adding a bacteria product to help bring down the ammonia, but I am unsure. My water temperature has been at 77-78 degrees F. Salinity is at 1.025 SG. I have been leaving my light on white for a few hours and then changing it to blue for the rest of the day. I think I may have been leaving it on for too long, as you, unfortunately, cannot adjust the brightness of the stock Fluval light.

Lastly, my latest concern has been a green-ish hair-like coat that has been developing on one of my live rocks. I am unsure if it is some type of algae or something else. Should I leave this piece of rock in my tank? Or remove it to prevent spreading? Or is this just part of cycling (the ugly stage) and I shouldn't worry too much? I will attach an image below.

Thank you!

IMG_1964.jpeg IMG_2024.jpeg IMG_2093.jpeg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Other more experienced members will no doubt answer your questions better than I am able, but you're absolutely in the right place. Best of luck with you tank!

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Everything you posted is normal tank beginnings, and it sounds like you are crushing what you can control.

I wouldn’t worry about nitrate until it hits 20ppmish, at which point start water changing a bit.

Ammonia isn’t worrisome either, it just means you are still initially cycling.

The combo of the two means progress is heading the right direction.

The rocks are gonna get gross. No way to avoid it in your setup.

You are doing great, keep it up!

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Everything you posted is normal tank beginnings, and it sounds like you are crushing what you can control.

I wouldn’t worry about nitrate until it hits 20ppmish, at which point start water changing a bit.

Ammonia isn’t worrisome either, it just means you are still initially cycling.

The combo of the two means progress is heading the right direction.

The rocks are gonna get gross. No way to avoid it in your setup.

You are doing great, keep it up!
Thank you for the reply! I just realized that I meant to type nitrite, not nitrate, but nitrite is also part of the cycle and hopefully, it will take care of the ammonia. Then once I read no ammonia, I can measure nitrates. And sounds good, I was worried but I know that rocks will eventually turn gross.

Is there anything you recommend to do after cycling to help clean up some of the algae and stuff? I was thinking of starting a small clean-up crew and maybe using a product like the MicroBacter Clean once established.

Also, are there sources/information available that can help set up with lighting? I may try and find something once I get an AI Prime, where I will actually be able to adjust the brightness and settings. I am assuming that you would want to keep lighting low for the first 1-3 months? Probably 20-40%?

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Other more experienced members will no doubt answer your questions better than I am able, but you're absolutely in the right place. Best of luck with you tank!
Thank you! I am glad to be part of a great community and am excited to see what others have as their setups!

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like a diatom bloom starting so nitrates are starting to be produced. How many weeks into the cycle

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a diatom bloom starting so nitrates are starting to be produced. How many weeks into the cycle
It's only day 5 as of today (Tuesday). Day 4 test results are:
pH: ~8.0
Ammonia: ~3.0-4.0ppm
Nitrite: 5.0ppm
Nitrate: 20.0ppm (not sure if this is accurate since nitrite is still present)

But I read that diatoms are pretty normal with a new tank. I may try and keep lights off or to a minimum to slow growth, as I have no fish or corals yet.

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's only day 5 as of today (Tuesday). Day 4 test results are:
pH: ~8.0
Ammonia: ~3.0-4.0ppm
Nitrite: 5.0ppm
Nitrate: 20.0ppm (not sure if this is accurate since nitrite is still present)
Ok. Id just keep an eye on it. I would tell people cycling products help speed up tour cycle to 1 to 2 week instead of 6 weeks plus. The nitrites are cosuming the ammonia since they are present. Was the dry rock new man-made rock or old dried up rock

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Id just keep an eye on it. I would tell people cycling products help speed up tour cycle to 1 to 2 week instead of 6 weeks plus. The nitrites are cosuming the ammonia since they are present. Was the dry rock new man-made rock or old dried up rock
I am considering adding a bottled bacteria to help boost the cycle, but am unsure. I may just monitor the levels for a few more days. I am unsure about the dry rock, the LFS sources it from somewhere but I believe it could also be old. It is not man-made though.

Fish_are_stoopid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am considering adding a bottled bacteria to help boost the cycle, but am unsure. I may just monitor the levels for a few more days. I am unsure about the dry rock, the LFS sources it from somewhere but I believe it could also be old. It is not man-made though.
That would kind of explain the higher levels of ammonia. All the old dead stuff is now being eaten and more ammonia is being produced. Im sure the product you used already introduced some ammonia. I would honestly wait it out vs adding more bacteria. With nitrates present and the algae bloom starting your cycle is running its coarse. Some take longer than others.

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck!! Looks great! I do want to warn you that some have had leds burn out on the prime light. I’m not sure if they have address this. But it might worth doing some research. I recently just pulled 2 primes off of a thank to put on a nano I am build. And sure enough.. a led on each of them were toast.

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck!! Looks great! I do want to warn you that some have had leds burn out on the prime light. I’m not sure if they have address this. But it might worth doing some research. I recently just pulled 2 primes off of a thank to put on a nano I am build. And sure enough.. a led on each of them were toast.
Thank you! Yeah, that is something to consider. I know the prime has some mixed reviews. Are there any other decent lights for nano builds? I was also considering the AI blade, but I am not sure if that light has as much adjustability or timer built in.

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yeah, that is something to consider. I know the prime has some mixed reviews. Are there any other decent lights for nano builds? I was also considering the AI blade, but I am not sure if that light has as much adjustability or timer built in.
Sorry, I don’t have much of a recommendation as I have not used to many of the new lights. The blades seem nice. Reefbrites have always done well for me. I recently saw the Pixels. Those look cool. That my be the next ones I try

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don’t have much of a recommendation as I have not used to many of the new lights. The blades seem nice. Reefbrites have always done well for me. I recently saw the Pixels. Those look cool. That my be the next ones I try
I'll take a look at a few other options!

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is cycled. You didn't need the bottled bacteria. You actually wanted your live rock to seed the dry rock and not the bottled bacteria. I recently set up a 30g and used 4# of live rock and 50# of dry rock. I added coral and fish on day 1. I now have a nem doing fine at 6 weeks in. You need to Quarantine your fish or purchase pre-quarantined fish from approved vendors on here. It scares me that you used pet store water to rinse your sand. That is trouble in the making...

Check my build thread's second post for a quick quarantine protocol summary.

An AI Prime is a fine choice. Check the classifieds here. You should be able to score one with a mount for $100. Once acquired, join the AI Facebook group and download "Pennywise daylight pop" program. While renting a par meter is best, you can probably ask on there and I'd be willing to bet someone has that tank and has already rented a par meter and will direct you to which power setting you need. My guess would be 61. I'd start at 41 though. You would download "Pennywise Daylight Pop 12 hour 51" from the Facebook group Files section.
Screenshot_20240130_235541_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240130_235536_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is cycled. You didn't need the bottled bacteria. You actually wanted your live rock to seed the dry rock and not the bottled bacteria. I recently set up a 30g and used 4# of live rock and 50# of dry rock. I added coral and fish on day 1. I now have a nem doing fine at 6 weeks in. You need to Quarantine your fish or purchase pre-quarantined fish from approved vendors on here. It scares me that you used pet store water to rinse your sand. That is trouble in the making...

Check my build thread's second post for a quick quarantine protocol summary.

An AI Prime is a fine choice. Check the classifieds here. You should be able to score one with a mount for $100. Once acquired, join the AI Facebook group and download "Pennywise daylight pop" program. While renting a par meter is best, you can probably ask on there and I'd be willing to bet someone has that tank and has already rented a par meter and will direct you to which power setting you need. My guess would be 61. I'd start at 51 though. You would download "Pennywise Daylight Pop 12 hour 51" from the Facebook group Files section.
Yep, that's why I have been hesitant to add any other bacteria. Before adding fish I will wait for ammonia to zero. We used their established reef water to rinse it to "keep all the elements" in the sand.

Thank you for the intel on the Prime. I have looked on marketplace for used ones but haven't really found anything. They are quite expensive new for a starter... I will check around here though. And I appreciate the Facebook group information, that will be very helpful.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I just wanted some people's opinions/advice on how I have started my tank. I understand that there are many ways to start and cycle, it is all new to me. Currently, I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank with the following upgrades:
-Syncra Silent 0.5
-Cobalt 75 watt heater
-Tunze Nano ATO

I do plan on upgrading the lid/cover and lighting setup (to an AI Prime) later down the road. Inside the tank, I have added 1.5-2in of CaribSea Fiji Pink sand (washed with reef water at local fish shop), 2 pieces of dry rock, and 2 pieces of wet live rock from my LFS. Lastly, I added Brightwell MicroBacter QuikCycl (recommended doses) to start the cycle. So far, everything looks to be alright, however, my ammonia is around 3-4.0ppm and nitrate of about 5+ppm. I am not sure if these are good number or too high, but over the past 5 days they haven't changed much. I was possibly thinking about adding a bacteria product to help bring down the ammonia, but I am unsure. My water temperature has been at 77-78 degrees F. Salinity is at 1.025 SG. I have been leaving my light on white for a few hours and then changing it to blue for the rest of the day. I think I may have been leaving it on for too long, as you, unfortunately, cannot adjust the brightness of the stock Fluval light.

Lastly, my latest concern has been a green-ish hair-like coat that has been developing on one of my live rocks. I am unsure if it is some type of algae or something else. Should I leave this piece of rock in my tank? Or remove it to prevent spreading? Or is this just part of cycling (the ugly stage) and I shouldn't worry too much? I will attach an image below.

Thank you!

IMG_1964.jpeg IMG_2024.jpeg IMG_2093.jpeg
Look up my tank thread...scroll to bottom to see my 13.5 Evo.

It's my 2nd tank, actually the Nephews.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/roatan-reefs-build-thread.902953/

You need CUCs...since adding CUCs, tank is doing great.

You will need 4 mexican Grazers, maybe 4 Turbo Snails and 2 Nassarius Snails. Rock stays crystal clear...ans sand bed is much better now.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

You have started well. Suggestions... during the cycle keep a chart and everyday test or every other day. Write down the numbers.

You can add more bacteria. I like Bio-Spira but there are sooooo many different bacteria just make sure the one you get is live bacteria and the bacteria is in date and make sure it is bought front somewhere that isn't storing it above room temperature. They bacteria can die in temperatures above a normal tank temp. I've bought some before that was obviously stored wrong and was definitely dead.

Second don't worry about Nitrates until your nitrites drop. You'll see a spike in Ammonia and then nitrites will spike and they will both stay pretty high for a few days usually up to a week or so. If you add more bacteria you can probably make it drop quicker but not always guaranteed. I have always said you can't have too much bacteria and sometimes it takes two bottles of two different types to make the nitrites go down.

If you want to wait it out that is fine. I wouldn't test for nitrates until your nitrites go down. Really there is no reason unless you just want to get good a testing it. I do find that extra bacteria sometimes helps to get my ammonia to go down quicker. But not always. The nitrates will almost always show they are there and high as long as you have the nitrite spike happening.

You're off to a great start the diatoms are probably what is on your tank it is part of the ugly stage. You can leave the lights on a little less and that will help. Truthfully you don't need the lights on at all right now. I would just keep them off until the tank has cycled. You'll probably thank me later.

If you have any other concerns I'm more than happy to help.

OP
OP
Ollie67

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up my tank thread...scroll to bottom to see my 13.5 Evo.

It's my 2nd tank, actually the Nephews.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/roatan-reefs-build-thread.902953/

You need CUCs...since adding CUCs, tank is doing great.

You will need 4 mexican Grazers, maybe 4 Turbo Snails and 2 Nassarius Snails. Rock stays crystal clear...ans sand bed is much better now.
Thank you for the advice! I actually saw your reply on another thread and I am glad to see another 13.5! I will take a look now! And I will keep the CUC in mind. I was also thinking of adding a Fire Shrimp down the road, they have a wonderful look.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back