Dinoflagellate cause bad readings with the Red Sea Pro / Hanna P04 tests?

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am running the red sea po4 pro test in my mastertronic. I started getting super low po4 reading from it. Usually, I can get the exact same reading from my Mastertronic and my Hanna tester. I ran reference fluid on both my Hanna and the Mastertronic using your PO4 test and they both read it exactly the same so both are working correctly.

When I test my tank water with the Mastertronic using the Red Sea Pro test comes back with super low numbers. When I test using the Hanna. I am getting 0.05.

I am having a big Dino issue . Can Dinoflagellate cause errors with the tests? I am not dosing silicates yet.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the red sea po4 pro test in my mastertronic. I started getting super low po4 reading from it. Usually, I can get the exact same reading from my Mastertronic and my Hanna tester. I ran reference fluid on both my Hanna and the Mastertronic using your PO4 test and they both read it exactly the same so both are working correctly.

When I test my tank water with the Mastertronic using the Red Sea Pro test comes back with super low numbers. When I test using the Hanna. I am getting 0.05.

I am having a big Dino issue . Can Dinoflagellate cause errors with the tests? I am not dosing silicates yet.

Sounds like your phosphate level is low.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos will consume phosphate. If you have a decent outbreak of them they will strip the water column nitrate and phosphate to zero.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am having a big Dino issue . Can Dinoflagellate cause errors with the tests?
as others have said, the simpler explanation is that the PO4 levels is quite low, and nuisance outbreaks can also push it low. Regardless - at very low PO4 levels, the different test kit sensitivities can cause them to disagree at very low levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just on the specific dino question, there's no reason to think the presence of any organism in the tank will cause an interference in phosphate testing.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just on the specific dino question, there's no reason to think the presence of any organism in the tank will cause an interference in phosphate testing.
thanks for your response. I am sure that my po4 levels are super low because of the dino's. I Just wanted to rule out interference of the tests.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back