Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against boiling anything from the tank. Very high health risks especially knowing there's dinoflagellates in it which you would not want their toxins to be in the air.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiling sand and continuing Metro treatments that we know won't be effective outside the short-term and will cause resistance to future treatments, etc.

@Thor2j sand is about as cheap as dirt....not sure it could possibly be worth the time and expense of boiling, just to put it back in the tank to be re-colonized. And why not wait until you're well past the treatment before putting anything back in?

@Jolanta Outiside of the immediate timeframe, most of these treatments (the good ones and the bad ones) are not going to do anything for you without correcting the tank's nutrient situation. While your dino's are in starvation/survival mode they will continue not playing nice.

I believe she is correcting tanks nutrient system based on advice provided by yourself and others.

In fact she has tried everything that has been suggested by members on this thread and the only things she hasn't tried she is about to embark on - whilst continuing to carry on with nutrient fixing.

Regarding whether they become resistant for future treatment is a mute point if the consensus seems to be not to use chemicals to assist???

Ultimately everyone has a choice to make.
For some this last attempt really is just that.

I for one wish her luck.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against boiling anything from the tank. Very high health risks especially knowing there's dinoflagellates in it which you would not want their toxins to be in the air.
yeah, what he said. I got a little focused on the Q of how to disable cysts, and got distracted from how really unpredictably risky boiling anything from a reef tank would be.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiling sand and continuing Metro treatments that we know won't be effective outside the short-term and will cause resistance to future treatments, etc.

@Thor2j sand is about as cheap as dirt....not sure it could possibly be worth the time and expense of boiling, just to put it back in the tank to be re-colonized. And why not wait until you're well past the treatment before putting anything back in?

@Jolanta Outiside of the immediate timeframe, most of these treatments (the good ones and the bad ones) are not going to do anything for you without correcting the tank's nutrient situation. While your dino's are in starvation/survival mode they will continue not playing nice.
Money isn't the issue with the sand even though it's $20 a bag every water change that gets removed. New sand is full of silica as you know so that leads to other problems. Don't want no sand as my dinos have never been on my rocks or corals. As some on this post have stated that once they removed all the sand the dinos moved to other places.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do boil the sand be cautious. As I said earlier DONT BREATH IN STEAM.

There have been a number of near misses (fatalities) where people have cooked rock containing zoas. Breathing in the vapour resulting in palytoxin. Of which there is no antidote.

Dinoflagellates can contain those same toxins or other.

Still if you want to proceed.

Wear eye protection.
Do this outside.
Don't breath in whilst doing it.
Waiting for it to be sufficiently cool before returning.

Do remember though that there is a chance organisms have died and decomposed in sand - fueling nutrients....but then that's supposed to help with Dino's ( o_O )

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do boil the sand be cautious. As I said earlier DONT BREATH IN STEAM.

There have been a number of near misses (fatalities) where people have cooked rock containing zoas. Breathing in the vapour resulting in palytoxin. Of which there is no antidote.

Dinoflagellates can contain those same toxins or other.

Still if you want to proceed.

Wear eye protection.
Do this outside.
Don't breath in whilst doing it.
Waiting for it to be sufficiently cool before returning.

Do remember though that there is a chance organisms have died and decomposed in sand - fueling nutrients....but then that's supposed to help with Dino's ( o_O )
No, I'm not going to take the chance with boiling it. I may try bleaching it and wait a week and see what if anything comes back under scope. Thought about muratic acid as well. At least I can do that outside.

Would love to just put new sand in but hate the silicate issue.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, if you have a fine sand you may end up dissolving much of it with muriatic acid. If it's a slightly coarser sand you may end up with fine sand, and so on.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm not going to take the chance with boiling it. I may try bleaching it and wait a week and see what if anything comes back under scope. Thought about muratic acid as well. At least I can do that outside.

Would love to just put new sand in but hate the silicate issue.

Once the overall situation is rectified (consistently available nutrients, etc) you should not have anything to worry about from new sand. And remember silicates feed diatoms, they don't have anything really to do with dinos. Diatom blooms are usually small, and they come and then go.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try bleaching it and wait a week

Bleach plus organics also produces some nasty by products.

At most I would vigorously wash with a hose and tap water in a bucket – same process as for a new bag of sand.

(Which I do not think is worth the effort. Instead I buy prewashed live bagged sand. If you really want to add new sand this is what you should consider adding — should be totally safe.)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just skimmed this thread just in case my tank gets diatoms and I really like most of the remedies. Here is what I gathered so far.
Use Metroplex, Prazi quantel, API General Cure powder, Prizapro, Peroxide, change water every Sunday, turn the lights out, or turn the lights on, (either way, don't look at the lights) use carbon, or remove carbon, add UV lighting, yeast, Brightwell Aquatics Micro Bacteria, Have a Loving Wife (my favorite) Lactobacillus (will also help your hermit crabs digest milk) Chemi Clean (in case your dino's are covered by cyano) Conchs, snails, shrimp and crabs, Dino-X Vibrant and bleach (Clorox I would imagine unless the store brand is on sale) Probiotics (in case the dino's are constipated), Silver (a couple of spoons and forks should do it) Quaternary ammonia from a Beef processing slaughter house, and after that boil the rocks and water then fill tank with muriatic acid.
I hope I have that correct because I may try it. I live in New York and am not sure where the closest beef slaughter house is but I can Google it.
My favorite "Cure" is RAP music but I can't stay in the house when that is on so I can't use it.
Of course a diatom filter will remove diatoms, ich, and Oldsmobiles but no one wants to do that.
I love this thread. Have fun and good luck. :D

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just skimmed this thread just in case my tank gets diatoms and I really like most of the remedies. Here is what I gathered so far.
Use Metroplex, Prazi quantel, API General Cure powder, Prizapro, Peroxide, change water every Sunday, turn the lights out, or turn the lights on, (either way, don't look at the lights) use carbon, or remove carbon, add UV lighting, yeast, Brightwell Aquatics Micro Bacteria, Have a Loving Wife (my favorite) Lactobacillus (will also help your hermit crabs digest milk) Chemi Clean (in case your dino's are covered by cyano) Conchs, snails, shrimp and crabs, Dino-X Vibrant and bleach (Clorox I would imagine unless the store brand is on sale) Probiotics (in case the dino's are constipated), Silver (a couple of spoons and forks should do it) Quaternary ammonia from a Beef processing slaughter house, and after that boil the rocks and water then fill tank with muriatic acid.
I hope I have that correct because I may try it. I live in New York and am not sure where the closest beef slaughter house is but I can Google it.
My favorite "Cure" is RAP music but I can't stay in the house when that is on so I can't use it.
Of course a diatom filter will remove diatoms, ich, and Oldsmobiles but no one wants to do that.
All that skimming and didn't figure out its about Dinos not Diatoms???

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think you missed the water purification tablets :)

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I think I'm officially done here.

Seems my advice is poor at least. So on that note. I bid you the best of luck.

Wherever you do to succeed. I recommend a new thread with documented results. From tanks params, strains and what you did.

All the best best from across the pond.

Paul.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahaha you made my day :) I only wait to my diatom filter arrive to try it. I will let you all know how it works on dinos.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that skimming and didn't figure out its about Dinos not Diatoms???

Dino's, Diatoms, Dinosaurs or Duck Poop. If I get any of those I will use the methods suggested. My tank has diatoms because I use a diatom filter and some escaped. :D

Actually, I think you missed the water purification tablets :)

I actually missed about 50 pages.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahaha you made my day :) I only wait to my diatom filter arrive to try it. I will let you all know how it works on dinos.

If you use it correctly (and that means shooting water all over your walls as that is normal) it will remove dinos and small Oldsmobiles. ;Smuggrin

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will remove everything except water but not maybe all that stuff that was suggested in this thread. :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back