Dinos and alk and cal

Slimkasey66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to increase my Nitrate and Phosphate in a battle to compete against Dinos. One thing I have done as well is decrease my water changes, however my Alk and Cal levels are going up. I've increased feeding, I've increased clean-up crew, I'm dosing Micro-phos and Nitrate, I'm using Micro Bacter 7, but the levels I want aren't increasing, but my Alk and Cal are increasing, even having stopped dosing these al together. any thoughts?

Sincerely, Steve in Calgary, Canada

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been trying to increase my Nitrate and Phosphate in a battle to compete against Dinos. One thing I have done as well is decrease my water changes, however my Alk and Cal levels are going up. I've increased feeding, I've increased clean-up crew, I'm dosing Micro-phos and Nitrate, I'm using Micro Bacter 7, but the levels I want aren't increasing, but my Alk and Cal are increasing, even having stopped dosing these al together. any thoughts?

Sincerely, Steve in Calgary, Canada
Don’t spend time right now worrying about nutrients
Blow this stuff loose and do your water change.
thereafter, turn white lights off, preferably all lights off (blackout) for 5-7 days
Add 1.5 ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons during the day. At night… add 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons during blackout period
Cease adding Coral food and nopox also as it fuels dino
After day 5 , ramp up your blues And whites 5% every other day

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are dosing 50ppm NO3, Alk won’t really spike like that.

Test salinity (as mentioned above) and also make sure you are doing the Ca and Alk tests properly. Without dosing nor water changes, it’s almost impossible for them to climb unless salinity is getting higher via evaporation.

OP
OP
S

Slimkasey66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t spend time right now worrying about nutrients
Blow this stuff loose and do your water change.
thereafter, turn white lights off, preferably all lights off (blackout) for 5-7 days
Add 1.5 ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons during the day. At night… add 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons during blackout period
Cease adding Coral food and nopox also as it fuels dino
After day 5 , ramp up your blues And whites 5% every other day
That worked I’ve got clear glass for a couple of days now, and maybe a start of cyano, but that I know how to battle. Hope you don’t mind if I pass this info onto others. Thank you so much for saving my mind. Steve

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back