Dinos becoming a problem... what now

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding UV - plenty of reefers have been successfully running UV 24/7. Many have been doing for decades. I've been running it on my tanks 24/7 for the last 9 years. Only change I made for dinos was to plumb it to the DT.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding UV - plenty of reefers have been successfully running UV 24/7. Many have been doing for decades. I've been running it on my tanks 24/7 for the last 9 years. Only change I made for dinos was to plumb it to the DT.
I’m not doubting it I was just stating what I’ve read. I’m going to try to avoid it if at all possible. Others have done without it so hopefully I can. What did you do along with UV to beat your dinos?

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not doubting it I was just stating what I’ve read. I’m going to try to avoid it if at all possible. Others have done without it so hopefully I can. What did you do along with UV to beat your dinos?
I dosed dinoX. But I'm pretty confident the dinoX did nothing. It was all UV with no unwanted side effects.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just SAY I want to use a UV to defeat them, I have a few questions. Supposedly they only go into the water column at night so I only need to run it when the lights are off? It won’t completely decimate my pod population or harm other beneficial micro fauna? If I defeat them using UV they won’t come back once I stop using it right? And lastly will this UV be okay for ~35gal system Jebao 36W Aquarium Koi Fish Pond UV Light Sterilizer
I know it’s overkill but I have a heater controller and my room stays at 68 so I’m not too worried about any overheating, are there other negative effects to overpowered UV’s? If that one isn’t good do you guys have other budget friendly options? Sorry for all the questions but thank you so much guys.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just SAY I want to use a UV to defeat them, I have a few questions. Supposedly they only go into the water column at night so I only need to run it when the lights are off? It won’t completely decimate my pod population or harm other beneficial micro fauna? If I defeat them using UV they won’t come back once I stop using it right? And lastly will this UV be okay for ~35gal system Jebao 36W Aquarium Koi Fish Pond UV Light Sterilizer
I know it’s overkill but I have a heater controller and my room stays at 68 so I’m not too worried about any overheating, are there other negative effects to overpowered UV’s? If that one isn’t good do you guys have other budget friendly options? Sorry for all the questions but thank you so much guys.

I ran mine 24/7 because I was constantly blowing them off during the day. But yes, I thinking running just at night would work well. Just blow off rocks etc right before it goes on.

There is a great BRS video on UV and dinos. I followed that. 3x flow rate through the UV is needed. So you take that number and look at the exposure you get on the UV unit. Pick a size that matches up.

I'm far from an expert on UV models. I have an aquaUV. Assuming the Jebao actually works and delivers near 35w, that's more than enough. If you ran 100gph through an aquaUV 8w, you'd be great. So 100gph through the 35 should be more than enough. Probably could go to 400gph and still achieve proper exposure to kill the dinos.

As for killing pods etc. My pod population has never been effected by my UV. Most of the beneficial microfauna is on your rocks, not the water column. Think how many times people do 50% water changes and don't see crashes to microfauna.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine 24/7 because I was constantly blowing them off during the day. But yes, I thinking running just at night would work well. Just blow off rocks etc right before it goes on.

There is a great BRS video on UV and dinos. I followed that. 3x flow rate through the UV is needed. So you take that number and look at the exposure you get on the UV unit. Pick a size that matches up.

I'm far from an expert on UV models. I have an aquaUV. Assuming the Jebao actually works and delivers near 35w, that's more than enough. If you ran 100gph through an aquaUV 8w, you'd be great. So 100gph through the 35 should be more than enough. Probably could go to 400gph and still achieve proper exposure to kill the dinos.

As for killing pods etc. My pod population has never been effected by my UV. Most of the beneficial microfauna is on your rocks, not the water column. Think how many times people do 50% water changes and don't see crashes to microfauna.
Sweet, thank you for the answers. You might just have me convinced. I’ll probably purchase one on pay day if I’m not seeing any improvement. Plumbing it up directly to DT is the way to go with dinos right?

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, thank you for the answers. You might just have me convinced. I’ll probably purchase one on pay day if I’m not seeing any improvement. Plumbing it up directly to DT is the way to go with dinos right?
It's literally the only way to go. If the UV pump and UV return aren't both plumbed to the DT it doesn't work at all.

And getting the right UV exposure is critical too. I didn't see the chart for the Jebao, but maybe you can find some numbers in these forums. Either way, I think 100-200gph for your setup would work great. Would be nice to know if you can do 400gph with that wattage, but without a chart, I'd stick to 100 to maximize exposure.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's literally the only way to go. If the UV pump and UV return aren't both plumbed to the DT it doesn't work at all.

And getting the right UV exposure is critical too. I didn't see the chart for the Jebao, but maybe you can find some numbers in these forums. Either way, I think 100-200gph for your setup would work great. Would be nice to know if you can do 400gph with that wattage, but without a chart, I'd stick to 100 to maximize exposure.
So a controllable submersible pump? Couple questions to that. Will a cheap no-name pump on Amazon be fine and Jebao says to plump after filtration because all the stuff flying around can harm some quartz film or something. Should I blow off my rocks at night when the UV is going?

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a controllable submersible pump? Couple questions to that. Will a cheap no-name pump on Amazon be fine and Jebao says to plump after filtration because all the stuff flying around can harm some quartz film or something. Should I blow off my rocks at night when the UV is going?
I would assume any cheap DC pump will be fine. I used a Jebao and then I can use it as a backup etc later.

The UV lamp is housed in a quartz sleeve. I suppose if you had tons of sand flying around it could theoretically scratch up the court sleeve and make it less effective. I wouldn't be concerned about whatever they said regarding before or after filtration.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture taken of my tank a couple weeks back just to get a visual. *this was taken before I got my big shipment of corals and before the dinos became a problem*
I also started with KPA live rock
0CEE4800-E9F3-4938-9D6E-E4831CEED4C1.png
Nice looking start. What I did in my 75 was put a small polishing filter in tank, blow off all the rocks and sand, anywhere there is dino's. When the water is clear take the filter out and clean the filter for the next tank cleaning. Mine slowly disappeared over two weeks of treatment, also used bactor7 after each cleaning.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking start. What I did in my 75 was put a small polishing filter in tank, blow off all the rocks and sand, anywhere there is dino's. When the water is clear take the filter out and clean the filter for the next tank cleaning. Mine slowly disappeared over two weeks of treatment, also used bactor7 after each cleaning.
That’s what I’m currently doing. I always run a filter sock and MB7 just came in.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a polishing filter will catch finer particles than a filter sock will.
It’s a 200micron felt sock. I wouldn’t want to go any finer because I already have to switch it out every 3-4 days max. But I could see going finer for manual siphoning of the dinos if that’s what you meant

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 200micron felt sock. I wouldn’t want to go any finer because I already have to switch it out every 3-4 days max. But I could see going finer for manual siphoning of the dinos if that’s what you meant
Yes, something that can catch dino spores, I think mine is 50 microns.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to get one of those. I was under the assumption that my socks would catch them
I wouldn't chance it, and besides you will like how clear the water is after. Mine is a small power head with filter attached to it.

Back