dinos, bryopsis, GHA, or bubble algae?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, Little background and thanks for your patience. I'm finishing up a fallow period after a velvet outbreak. I have a 150g and 180g plumbed together sharing a sump. I decided to pull the 150 and go to one so I moved all the coral from there and a few from a another tank not linked to them into the 180. I moved my radions (3x xr15pro g4) to the 180 and took out the black boxes that were over the tank. Now I have all this algae(?) growing on the back, the bare bottom and rocks. I had a little of this in the 150 which had the radions above it but not like this. Tuxedo urchins have been munching on some of it. Fish wont be able to return until Sunday so I don't know if any of them will eat it. I really don't want to bring them back up until I get a handle on this. I haven't tested for nitrates in a few weeks but the tanks always ran 10-15 ppm for months. Alk 9.5 , calcium 420 SG 1.025. waiting on reagent to test phos. I don't test for much else. Tanks have been running for over 3 years. I skim and have Chaeto in the sump. RODI with a tds of 0. Looking for an ID on this stuff as I think there is more than one type of nuisance going on but I'm not sure as I haven't dealt with this before and I don't want to screw it up. I have fish that I saved in a stock tank in the basement, some that I have had for over 7 years so I want this handled before I bring them back up. Also the 150 is still attached and running but only has rock with no light but ambient and it looks good. Video attached. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have a microscope coming today so I can try and ID them . I've read thats the first step. They definatly get less when lights are out but still some stringy stuff on the bottom in low flow area this morning. I'll have to do some more reading to wrap my head around this. I've read thay are caused by low nutrients but this tank has always had nitrates of 10+ minimum and I have a smaller tank that I can barely even measure a trace and its clear.

Last edited:

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have a microscope coming today so I can try and ID them . I've read thats the first step. They definatly get less when lights are out but still some stringy stuff on the bottom in low flow area this morning. I'll have to do some more reading to wrap my head around this. I've read thay are caused by low nutrients but this tank has always had nitrates of 10+ minimum and I have a smaller tank that I can barely even measure a trace and its clear.
If I had the space, I.e another tank to move to move corals to I would have just nuked the tank with an algaecide like Dino-x or vibrant. None of my fish have been affected but I’ve lost a good bit of corals. All sps, a couple hammers/frogspawn/torches, acans.

maybe you’ll get lucky and end up with the type that goes into the water column and are easily removed by UV.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it weren't for all the nems on the center rock work I could probably figure out a way to do that but I imagine if I move them and the rock it would be pointless as I assume the dynos would just hang out on them and return when brought them back over. Gonna try a UV and hope I get lucky.

Attachments

• 20220327_171620.jpg
    20220327_171620.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nems don't seem to bothered at all and yes it is barebottom. Or at least was untill the dinos kicked in lol. I read where pods eat dinos so they will hopefully help the process along. It is totally infested with pods after being fallow for the last 42 days.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back