Dinos or cyano?

Revos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So i have a 40gallon cube about a year Now. This is an upgrade from a 15gallon that was also 1year tank.

About 6 months i decide to upgrade my lighting and get a second kessil a 160 so Now the tank has 2 kessils.

After 2 months with the second kessil this thing start to grow in my tank. When i install the second kessil unit my nitrates have gone to 0 from 8-10 with the one unit.

I start to dose some potassium nitrate about 4 Days ago and Now i have 1-2 nitrates.
Can anyone id this thing guys? Thanxs and sorry about my english :)

IMG_20181016_150111.jpg

IMG_20181016_150209.jpg

IMG_20181016_145959.jpg

IMG_20181016_150245.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best is too take a sample too a lFS with a microscope for conformation..can you list your parameters..
Dino’s normally arise when no3 and po4 bottom out for a while ..
cyno normally arises through a build up of detritus.. are you feeding heavily ?
You can try syphoning as much out as possible doing a small wc and try adding more flow too your sand bed area ...

OP
OP
R

Revos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1026
Kh 8
Ca 425
Mg 1320
No3 1-2 Now dosing potassium nitrate. I was 4 months with 0 nitrate

PO4 0,018 with hanna ultra low instrument

I dont feed to much. I have 2 clown fish and a Pink Streaked Wrasse.
I have 1-3mm aragonite so might be some detritus in there. I have never clean-syphoning the aragonite.

I have done 2 times chemiclean treatment so far. It cleans about 80% of the tank for 2-3 Days and then this thing grow again.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok chances are it’s cyno .. I’d try dosing chemiclean at 1.5x dosage , and add more flow too the tank , regular water changes and cleaning sand bed will help and adding more clean up crew

OP
OP
R

Revos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok chances are it’s cyno .. I’d try dosing chemiclean at 1.5x dosage , and add more flow too the tank , regular water changes and cleaning sand bed will help and adding more clean up crew

Thanxs! I am afraid to get more snails. About 90% of my snails have die when this thing grow in the tank. And about 10 rock flower anemones also. I notice that 2-3 aptaisia that i have die also..

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if your's is cyano as it's very stringy. I battled cyano for over a year (tried increased flow, reduced light, reduced feeding, more frequent water changes) to no avail and finally got rid of it in Aug. What I learned was that cyano kept returning bc my tank was too clean, zero NO3 & PO4. After "dirtying" up the water via increased feeding, less frequent water change and one time chemiclean treatment, cyano never returned. Now I aim for 5-10 NO3 and 0.03-0.10 PO4, which appears to be ideal levels that keeps cyano away and corals happy.

I would siphon the cyano from ur substrate and remove as much from rocks during water change. Then do chemiclean treatment while avoiding zero levels of NO3 & PO4.

OP
OP
R

Revos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if your's is cyano as it's very stringy. I battled cyano for over a year (tried increased flow, reduced light, reduced feeding, more frequent water changes) to no avail and finally got rid of it in Aug. What I learned was that cyano kept returning bc my tank was too clean, zero NO3 & PO4. After "dirtying" up the water via increased feeding, less frequent water change and one time chemiclean treatment, cyano never returned. Now I aim for 5-10 NO3 and 0.03-0.10 PO4, which appears to be ideal levels that keeps cyano away and corals happy.

I would siphon the cyano from ur substrate and remove as much from rocks during water change. Then do chemiclean treatment while avoiding zero levels of NO3 & PO4.

Thanxs for your tips! I was planing to stop water changes for some time. As i said i Allready dose some nitrates.

So do u recomend to do a water change and siphon this thing am i right?
Do u think that i should remove gfo also?

Sorry about my english again i trying my Best!

ScubaZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It looks like it might be cyno...I would advise to add a airstone in the tank during the chemiclean treatment if you go that route...I have used it myself and it worked great for my with an airstone in the tank for up to a week after with small water changes every 3 days...I have a friend who dosed it alone without adding oxygen and it killed every one of his fish

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it might be cyno...I would advise to add a airstone in the tank during the chemiclean treatment if you go that route...I have used it myself and it worked great for my with an airstone in the tank for up to a week after with small water changes every 3 days...I have a friend who dosed it alone without adding oxygen and it killed every one of his fish
I have never added an airstone while using chemi clean ... although i do take the cup of my skimmer and let it run ... never lost any fish yet ..!! Saying that chemi clean has now been banned in europe and its not allowed too be imported anymore .. so i cant use it now ..!!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never added an airstone while using chemi clean ... although i do take the cup of my skimmer and let it run ... never lost any fish yet ..!! Saying that chemi clean has now been banned in europe and its not allowed too be imported anymore .. so i cant use it now ..!!
Curious as to why it is banned and, as you know, it is widely used in USA...……….

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to why it is banned and, as you know, it is widely used in USA...……….
Because it has antibiotica in it which is banned in europe .. Colombo mycosidol have also had too change theirs for the same Reason .. a fine is imposed on Anybody importing chemi clean ... you guys have banned the use of Floride i believe ... yet that is still used over here in water and toothpaste and other things ...

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanxs for your tips! I was planing to stop water changes for some time. As i said i Allready dose some nitrates.

So do u recomend to do a water change and siphon this thing am i right?
Do u think that i should remove gfo also?

Sorry about my english again i trying my Best!
the substrate should be siphoned and the rocks cleaned during water change, i.e. try to remove as much cyano as possible before chemiclean treatment. Chemiclean instructions must be followed exactly, i.e. turn off skimmer and GFO reactors, do 20% water change after I believe 46 hrs etc. I would leave GFO turned off until u start noticing PO4 increasing then if needed use it, I haven't turned mine back on since Aug. Otherwise regular water changes should control PO4

Good luck!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back