Dinos or Diatoms?

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

please can I get help identifying this algae? It’s brown, long stringy and it smells when on my hands, I’ve only noticed it in my sump. Snails love it.

Attachments

• IMG_4150.MP4
    10.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If it’s golden brown and looks like snot - Dino . Check your phosphate and nitrate for elevated levels
If Dino,
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 22866091-850A-4410-8D6F-FE114FA59A61.jpeg
    22866091-850A-4410-8D6F-FE114FA59A61.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
he stuff hanging out of the powerhead is loose chaeto, i’m just unsure if the rest is dinos?

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not Dino’s if the snails love it. Can you give a little bit more information about the tank. Size, how old, what your parameters are, what livestock you have in the tank, that type of stuff. Maybe more pictures as well

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of my Dino outbreak the glass looked a bit different then the rocks as it grew. Photo of mine for you to compare with.

Attachments

• PXL_20201207_205612180.jpg
    PXL_20201207_205612180.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not Dino’s if the snails love it. Can you give a little bit more information about the tank. Size, how old, what your parameters are, what livestock you have in the tank, that type of stuff. Maybe more pictures as well
It’s 80 gallons, about 4 months old and my phosphate didn’t pick up on my test but my nitrates are about 5-10

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, good morning!

You have Dinos on your hand! Is it only in the sump with your Chaeto?
If you clean a nice portion of that algae out and put your Chaeto back in, you should notice your Chaeto will grow faster.

Now your tank is four months old. You’re going to see swings from top to bottom until everything levels out. You can reduce lighting to help slow the processes.
Also, do you have anything else besides just Dinos here?

I recommend you doing a nice clean job in that sump, and the tank if it’s there too. Make sure your Chaeto is there afterwards and reduce lighting.

Just read all the comments, what @vetteguy53081 said, everything he said is the correct way at doing this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, good morning!

You have Dinos on your hand! Is it only in the sump with your Chaeto?
If you clean a nice portion of that algae out and put your Chaeto back in, you should notice your Chaeto will grow faster.

Now your tank is four months old. You’re going to see swings from top to bottom until everything levels out. You can reduce lighting to help slow the processes.
Also, do you have anything else besides just Dinos here?

I recommend you doing a nice clean job in that sump, and the tank if it’s there too. Make sure your Chaeto is there afterwards and reduce lighting.

Just read all the comments, what @vetteguy53081 said, everything he said is the correct way at doing this.
It’s only in the sump where the chaeto is, the growth has really died down this week it was horrendous about 4 weeks ago, i have been scraping the algae off with an old toothbrush then sucking it out with the pump, the chaeto has stopped turning brown and getting covered in it. I have some turf algae on my rocks in the main display, it got in from a snail which also has turf algae on his shell.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only in the sump where the chaeto is, the growth has really died down this week it was horrendous about 4 weeks ago, i have been scraping the algae off with an old toothbrush then sucking it out with the pump, the chaeto has stopped turning brown and getting covered in it. I have some turf algae on my rocks in the main display, it got in from a snail which also has turf algae on his shell.
Nothing beats taking a toothbrush to the sump trick! Use a credit card too, or run one of those two inch nets up the side walls can also get everything out good!

How’s the flow in your sump?
If it’s sticking to your chaeto then it sounds like flow might also be a problem for your Chaeto.

Here’s what I recommend, clean your tank good, and your sump. Place a cheap $5-$10 power head in your sump to move water through your Chaeto and you should see a major difference.

Also keep up with those water changes! That’ll also help!

Please keep us updated!

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing beats taking a toothbrush to the sump trick! Use a credit card too, or run one of those two inch nets up the side walls can also get everything out good!

How’s the flow in your sump?
If it’s sticking to your chaeto then it sounds like flow might also be a problem for your Chaeto.

Here’s what I recommend, clean your tank good, and your sump. Place a cheap $5-$10 power head in your sump to move water through your Chaeto and you should see a major difference.

Also keep up with those water changes! That’ll also help!

Please keep us updated!
I have one of my old salt mixing pumps circulating the sump’s water now, it was a hands on job before just rotating the chaeto every day but I soon got bored. Saturday is ny water change day, I was doing 10% water changes but i’ve done 20% since turning the sump lights on and the algae turned up, but it seems to be going down, i’ll get something flat edged in there tomorrow to really clear the sump up! Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, I read that water changes make dino worse.
I mean, they seem to have died down since doing larger water changes, I understand why though because water changes remove phosphates and nitrates. But as it stands at the moment they seem to be slowing down, the chaeto isn’t growing much at the moment tho

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is confusing, some say water change some say stop water changes. Maybe it depends on which type of dinoflagellate you have, ie amphidinium or ostreopsis
I’m unsure on which I have, I have seen a few threads about people having the same issue as me, where they are only in the sump with the chaeto

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back