Dinos or diatoms ??

MikeDesjean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at what I thought was end of diatom bloom I my new tank. It’s been running for about 2 months. All dry rock and 2 inch sand bed.

Nitrate-10
Phosphate-.25 or just under (api)

My question is if this is diatom or Dino? It seems to mostly blow away but some spots clumped when I cleaned tank last night.

I missed a spot in a crack of rock so I cleaned it with turkey baster and will see if it’s back by end of day. ( small patch of sand I couldn’t reach with syphon.

I don’t think it’s Dino’s, as I never had bottomed out nutrients.

Any help is appreciated!

F5786FA0-5E3B-4EA7-A75F-4C8EBE7C5A45.jpeg EE89D12D-B270-4EED-B3B7-E7240D9A5266.jpeg

OP
OP
MikeDesjean

MikeDesjean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh… gotcha. I’ve only noticed yesterday that the diatoms different in one section of the tank (back corner) and figured maybe it was diatoms with detritus on top.

I keep a pretty good eye on the tank and was letting the diatoms do their thing, but stepped in yesterday when I saw a different “texture” I guess you would say to it. Looked like it was flowing. So I did my best to remove all of it and scrapped down the glass with blade.

I’m going to keep and eye on it. I have a clean patch of sand I made as a control.

If it is Dino’s how long until this spot should be dirty again?

OP
OP
MikeDesjean

MikeDesjean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next day or even sooner.

There is a test you can do with a coffee filter. I forgot how it goes but it’s here somewhere if you want to search for it.

Found the test. I will do that tomorrow. I want to see what comes back.

I cleaned this small patch of sand and waited 4-5 hours at this point and this is the result so far attached. I think it is still diatoms.

Only thing worrisome is that when I stirred the sand what I was sure was diatoms kinda clumped and is gently stirred sand?

Time will tell

Attachments

• 8E8E8386-E647-41A6-AEB3-3717E9FD6760.jpeg
    8E8E8386-E647-41A6-AEB3-3717E9FD6760.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 35

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh… gotcha. I’ve only noticed yesterday that the diatoms different in one section of the tank (back corner) and figured maybe it was diatoms with detritus on top.

I keep a pretty good eye on the tank and was letting the diatoms do their thing, but stepped in yesterday when I saw a different “texture” I guess you would say to it. Looked like it was flowing. So I did my best to remove all of it and scrapped down the glass with blade.

I’m going to keep and eye on it. I have a clean patch of sand I made as a control.

If it is Dino’s how long until this spot should be dirty again?
The sand will be cleaner at night if it's dinos. They swim at night, clump during the day.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back