Dinos

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dealing with dinos the past couple weeks and I'm wondering how long can I shut the lights off without the corals being affected? Will this kill the dinos or will they just come back?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackouts, UV and hydrogen peroxide dosing have worked for most. Blackouts shouldn't harm corals, 4 days off and then ramp lights back up to normal. Really depends on the type of dinos you are dealing with though.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dealing with dinos the past couple weeks and I'm wondering how long can I shut the lights off without the corals being affected? Will this kill the dinos or will they just come back?
I’ve read a lottttt of forums about dinos, and your best option is a UV sterilizer. Any other way, they kept coming back

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, some retreat into the sandbed. Its why people buy microscopes to help ID and use multiple techniques (blackouts and UV) to kill em off. Carbon should be used during treatment.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights out alone will not harm dinos.LC Amphids will just burrow into the sand, the others will swim around for a while. For the free swimmers, a lights our period helps get them moving and swimming into the UV.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took several rounds of 4 day blackouts for me. Each time they came back but were a little less. And blackout means BLACKOUT - cover all the glass with opaque paper.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read a lottttt of forums about dinos, and your best option is a UV sterilizer. Any other way, they kept coming back
Ok someone shared one another thread that was $50 so I will probably just get one. I'm a little confused as to where it would be placed if I use hob filter?

ReefNBeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Dinos, it is almost essential that you hit it from multiple angles. I just cleared mine up and won a wqar before it really even started, and I still used four methods. I dosed phosphate (running an ULNS), 3 day blackout while dosing peroxide, and also running a UV sterilizer for a total of 7 days. Peroxide dosing lasted 10 days. I will say, my tank has never looked cleaner.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Dinos, it is almost essential that you hit it from multiple angles. I just cleared mine up and won a wqar before it really even started, and I still used four methods. I dosed phosphate (running an ULNS), 3 day blackout while dosing peroxide, and also running a UV sterilizer for a total of 7 days. Peroxide dosing lasted 10 days. I will say, my tank has never looked cleaner.
How much peroxide per how many gallons? Will the peroxide hurt my fish or inverts?

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is ULNS?

ReefNBeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! And 10 days you said? Should I follow with a water change?
I did 3 20% water changes over 3 days when I was finished. Just make sure you dont bottom out you nitrates or phosphates, as dinos thrive in that kind of environment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here is your easiest way to battle and lights off for a few days will not be harmful:

Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependant coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is your easiest way to battle and lights off for a few days will not be harmful:

Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependant coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
dang I fed reefroids today

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Danno23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been reading alot about dosing peroxide for dinos, is a skimmer necessary if you are dosing peroxide?( I dont run one) , should I remove phosphate remover or carbon while dosing..any effects on lps/sps if dosing at 1 ml per 10 gallon..thanks

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 47.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back