Neonrabbits DIY Automated Evo Rebuild

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done a dedicated build thread for my Evo that is approaching the 2 year mark. I will give a brief current state vs future state and go over my plans.

Lighting: Stock Light
Pump: Sicce 1.0 with dual 1/4" RFG
Heater: Cobalt Neotherm
Controller: Reef-pi (details to follow)
Filtration: 3D printed Media Basket with flow director, polyfil and sometimes some biomedia
Dosing: 2 part and 2 spare dosers
Fish List: YWG and Firefish
Invert List: 3 sexy shrimp, emerald crab, pistol shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. Bunch of mixed CUC
Coral List: Leathers/Toadstools, 2 Montis, a torch, frogspawn and Acan

This tank hasn't skipped a beat and runs like a champ. I change my rockwork about 1 year in so the right structure is new rock that is currently covered in bubble algae but starting to mature. My reef-pi setup covers 2 temperature sensors, ph, 4 dosers, ATO and an 8 channel relay. The tank is upstairs in my main living space so water changes require bucket lugging. The stand itself is a cheap Ikea cube setup and is fairly ugly which detracts from the tank. Because the tank is against the wall I lose 2 viewing angles. I really feel like I would enjoy this tank more with a few changes.

Here it is as of about a few weeks ago
tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

Here are some rough plans and ideas for improvements. Custom made stand that sits perpendicular to the wall that can hide cords/ tubing and wires. Upgrade lights to Reef Brite Lumi and integrate into my reef-pi setup. Change up scape so I have a good view from all 3 sides. Setup and refine an AWC system and integrate into reef pi. I just want this thing to look as good outside as it does inside so follow along on my upgrade adventure!

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Messing with time here a bit because I actually had already replaced the lights about a week before the first post and Reef Brite lights are perfect. I went with the 15" LumiLight and got 1 50/50 and 1 blue which I have running at 75% and 50% respectively. Shout out to @LardLad for recommendation and @Tom Bishop for the wiring advice in reef pi! Using a MOSFET to control the Reef Brites should work out but oddly it uses a 2.5 mm plug which isn't standard. Tomorrow should be the day as my new connectors arrive. Looking to dose Phyto, Alk and Cal but if my AWC keep my levels up I have several dosing heads to use for anything I want.

IMG_3598.JPG

The next step is the new stand which I call using my dad's advanced knowledge of woodworking to help me build. The idea is no cords and no tubing visible and I kinda wanted to play around with a "floating" look at the skirt the tank sits on is recessed.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update

Ended up using a A150 on top of my reef brite strips. The firefish ended up passing due to a hungry/angry pistol shrimp so he was replaced by a cleaner goby which is much more active. Redid some rock scaping and moved the corals and rock from the left side down to my 40B and got a few newbies (blasto, psamacora, favia and bowerbanki) to take place of the leathers. Tank never skipped a beat!
IMG_4562.JPG

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back