Dinos

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have a Red Sea 350 and for the 1st time in all my years of reefing got a Dino outbreak.

I tried toying with Biopellets…however, it went bad. Bottomed out nitrates and phosphates. Being I have never had Dino’s I am in new territory to try combating them. I have read peroxide dosing and numerous other outlets.

I just hooked up a Aqua uv 25 watt and though I doubt it will kill them entirely being not all of them are in the column if I increase feeding to promote increased nitrates and sustain it at a higher “safe” level will I eventually choke them out?

I always try the most natural approach before chemically treating anything.

Thanks for any input.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey all,

I have a Red Sea 350 and for the 1st time in all my years of reefing got a Dino outbreak.

I tried toying with Biopellets…however, it went bad. Bottomed out nitrates and phosphates. Being I have never had Dino’s I am in new territory to try combating them. I have read peroxide dosing and numerous other outlets.

I just hooked up a Aqua uv 25 watt and though I doubt it will kill them entirely being not all of them are in the column if I increase feeding to promote increased nitrates and sustain it at a higher “safe” level will I eventually choke them out?

I always try the most natural approach before chemically treating anything.

Thanks for any input.
Uv will help
They are photosynthetic and love lights
Kill the white or all the lights for 5-7 days
Blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and net and/or siphon up
Clean filters daily as well as emptying skimmer cup
During the day , add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons and at night add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons- both for a week

OP
OP
KyOsIBa515

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv will help
During the day , add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons and at night add 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons- both for a week
Thanks for the reply! I killed the lights yesterday. Will get bacteria and peroxide tonight.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv will help
Will this method affect any corals?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Will this method affect any corals?
It should not- follow precisely and with the per 10 gallons, remember, as an example if you have a 100 gallon tank, with rock and structure, you gave 85-90 Useable gallons

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should not- follow precisely and with the per 10 gallons, remember, as an example if you have a 100 gallon tank, with rock and structure, you gave 85-90 Useable gallons
Yeah I have 130gal mixed reef/sps dominant. Got a small Dino outbreak going and want to knock it out before it becomes an issue. Just worried about killing my high-end corals

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah I have 130gal mixed reef/sps dominant. Got a small Dino outbreak going and want to knock it out before it becomes an issue. Just worried about killing my high-end corals
I treated twice and no coral issues
Haven’t seen Dino in almost 3 years

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Remember- Peroxide is mainly water

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Remember- Peroxide is mainly water
I will order some liquid bacteria and give it a try in a week or two. Thanks. Ill let you know how it goes.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 62 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back