Nutrient Management Through Dinos?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I stoped testing nitrates often as they’re always 20-40, then ahead of deciding to add an arco I tested to find out my nitrates so I could make sure they weren’t too high.

Nitrates: 0

No idea where they went, but wherever it is they went there in a big way

This has coincided with an algae outbreak I’d previously assumed was Calothrix (had it before, very easy to manage so wasn’t concerned) but given nitrates at 0 I’m assuming the bubbles in snot is Dino’s.

So. Great. Yay.

Anyway, I’ve dosed nitrates up to 10, but am assuming the Dinos are going to Nom Nom Nom these and consume Phosphates (currently 0.05) and cause bigger issues.

So do I dose phosphates? Can I kinda DIY this with high phosphate foods (reef foods?) or do I need to dose phosphates directly?

/weird thing - one of my zoa colonies is suffering but all my other Softies, LPS and SPS (montis, digis) seem very happy and are growing nicely

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through something similar just a few weeks ago. Both my nitrates and phosphates bottomed out to 0 and I got Dinos followed by pretty bad cyano. I have been dosing Nitrates and Phosphates for about 3 weeks now to keep them at a stable level. I have tried feeding a little more, but while it helped, it wasn't enough to keep my nutrients at an acceptable/detectable level. I would personally dose both and try to maintain stable levels that you prefer.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back