Disappointed in Petco's CaribSea Liferock order - false economy.

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I had found a great deal - Petco selling 40lb of Liferock "on sale". Every piece was paper-wrapped but exhibits a lot of chipping. I realize I could touch it up with acrylic or pink EMarco, and it will eventually (hopefully) become coralline encrusted, but still. It may be petty, but I'm thinking of returning it to the nearby Petco.

For those that have bought it from BRS or Amazon - did it arrive damaged like this? Another example of getting what you pay for.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all just gets covered in algae either way. After a few months what ever color it was won't matter.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, BRS even states that though they have done their best, the reality is that once the shipper gets it the product is at their mercy re: care and handling.

Imagine a box of rock in your car’s trunk while driving around in stop and go traffic.

Definitely expect more than a few chips.

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that BRS ships in Bubble wrap - yes, no, maybe so?

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided the LifeRock will be more trouble than its worth - plus a bad match to the VidaRock pieces. Methinks I'll go with the Moani Dry Live Rock instead.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all just gets covered in algae either way. After a few months what ever color it was won't matter.

Agree with this.

Also factor in the hassle of returning it and what you will have to pay for its replacement, would a little less chipping matter that much? And probably cost a lot more?

I'm a big believer is getting what makes you happy though, especially on the main items of equipment, so if it's irritating you and you can't wait a few months for it to get covered in either brown, green or pink (coralline comes in more than pink too) then return it and pay the extra for piece of mind.

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this.

Also factor in the hassle of returning it and what you will have to pay for its replacement, would a little less chipping matter that much? And probably cost a lot more?

I'm a big believer is getting what makes you happy though, especially on the main items of equipment, so if it's irritating you and you can't wait a few months for it to get covered in either brown, green or pink (coralline comes in more than pink too) then return it and pay the extra for piece of mind.
The local Petco is right down the street; an easy-peasy return. Plus, as you say, I'm going with what will hopefully make me more happy. There's also the color-match to the VidaRock plus fact my lovely wife is as impatient as I am for my naked tank to look decent! :cool:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local Petco is right down the street; an easy-peasy return. Plus, as you say, I'm going with what will hopefully make me more happy. There's also the color-match to the VidaRock plus fact my lovely wife is as impatient as I am for my naked tank to look decent! :cool:
Gulfliverock.com imo

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the fear to be honest. Everyone in this hobby is trying for a piece of the ocean. At the same time terrified to use it as a guide.

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brs ship theirs wrapped in bubble wrap. Every single rock is individually wrapped and peanuts are used but still some arches still break in half because due to the transit

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the fear to be honest. Everyone in this hobby is trying for a piece of the ocean. At the same time terrified to use it as a guide.
@Jekyl - Have you also used their corraline base live rock or just the premium deco?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jekyl - Have you also used their corraline base live rock or just the premium deco?
I have not used either yet unfortunately. I just got live rock from 4 or 5 different LFS for diversity

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used either yet unfortunately. I just got live rock from 4 or 5 different LFS for diversity
Ah - there is one nearby LFS with actual live rock. Maybe I'll check it out.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics has some awesome real ocean live rock they overnight ship. They have “starter” rock with coraline on it that doesn’t need curing and ready to go. very porous rock too. No solid boulders.
834ACD28-35B5-47A4-94FC-51B656548EEF.jpeg

This hobby needs to move back to ocean live rock. No issues with Dinos and a more healthy and natural ecosystem in tank. Cultured rock, of course.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back