Discouraged

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a little over 3 months old. I am really discouraged. Looks ugly. I am doing 10 percent water change, change out the filter sock every 4 or so days, vaccuum my sand and still I have this **** in my tank. Everyone's looks so beautiful and here's mine.
20220515_144009.jpg

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are diatoms, they're normal in a new tank. Just keep the parameters stable and it will go away soon.
Yeah.... I just look at others people's tanks after like a month and they already look so good. I'm taking care of it and you don't think 3 months is a long time?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.... I just look at others people's tanks after like a month and they already look so good. I'm taking care of it and you don't think 3 months is a long time?
3 months isn't a long time at all. It's different for everyone, but a tank generally becomes established at a year old. The ugly stage won't last that long, but that's how long you should be waiting before you start to see coralline algae and a healthy copepod population

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll get better. Every new tank has a wave of diatoms, a wave of cyano, and a wave of something else. You are in the diatom phase, and as long as you can solve the "something else", your tank will look good within 9 months. For now, just let it dissipate. It'll go in time.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms consume silicates. Since you used dry rock and fresh sand, you're full of silicates. They'll go away eventually though. So long as you're using RODI and not tap water though, they won't return after they leave.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months isn't a long time at all. It's different for everyone, but a tank generally becomes established at a year old. The ugly stage won't last that long, but that's how long you should be waiting before you start to see coralline algae and a healthy copepod population
Yeah im actually going to dose some pods today.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll get better. Every new tank has a wave of diatoms, a wave of cyano, and a wave of something else. You are in the diatom phase, and as long as you can solve the "something else", your tank will look good within 9 months. For now, just let it dissipate. It'll go in time.
I'm already getting some cyano in there. Don't know if it was good or bad.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms consume silicates. Since you used dry rock and fresh sand, you're full of silicates. They'll go away eventually though. So long as you're using RODI and not tap water though, they won't return after they leave.
Yeah I did use dry rock. Most of it. I have a couple of pieces if Live rock but not a lot. And the sand I used was live sand.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest adding live rock like in the sump or?
Honestly it could be in the sump or just to replace some of the current dry rock structure.

The "ugly phase" is very very different for live rock tanks. It's worth a careful search on here if you're seriously considering it.

I will say that my two most recent tanks (one all live rock, one half dry half live) had essentially no "ugly phase." Poll the peanut gallery and read up on it.

There will be the inevitable nay-sayers who fear some Boogeyman hitchhiker, but I've never had a problem (in 26 yrs). I've had my fare share of Boogeyman hitchhikers but they all came from corals I bought before I was paranoid about dipping. And let's face it, dinos and cyano... aren't they worse than a random pistol shrimp?

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it could be in the sump or just to replace some of the current dry rock structure.

The "ugly phase" is very very different for live rock tanks. It's worth a careful search on here if you're seriously considering it.

I will say that my two most recent tanks (one all live rock, one half dry half live) had essentially no "ugly phase." Poll the peanut gallery and read up on it.

There will be the inevitable nay-sayers who fear some Boogeyman hitchhiker, but I've never had a problem (in 26 yrs). I've had my fare share of Boogeyman hitchhikers but they all came from corals I bought before I was paranoid about dipping. And let's face it, dinos and cyano... aren't they worse than a random pistol shrimp?
I dont know if I can replace my rocks lol I don't know how I would do that. Someone reccomended getting a couple of small pieces of live rock and maybe some live rock rubble. And yeah I don't mind the hitchhikers. I have a few asterina starfish and a few bristle worms that came on the live rock that a friend gave me. I mean how long is this going to last woth my dry rock? Forever? Lol

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a little over 3 months old. I am really discouraged. Looks ugly. I am doing 10 percent water change, change out the filter sock every 4 or so days, vaccuum my sand and still I have this **** in my tank. Everyone's looks so beautiful and here's mine.
20220515_144009.jpg

Most of those people have very mature tanks and never show the bad times. Gotta be very lucky to not go through ugly phases. And even when you get through the ugly phases they can come back at a whim. It happens all the time.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of those people have very mature tanks and never show the bad times. Gotta be very lucky to not go through ugly phases. And even when you get through the ugly phases they can come back at a whim. It happens all the time.
Yeah it just is discouraging. Especially when I stay on top of all the maintenence and stuff. But my clowmfish are happy and all the inverts are happy. Haven't lost anything yet so I guess that's good.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it ride out its called the uglies.

new rock just goes through it . I recently added more rock and its ugly while the old is pretty purple

Attachments

• DC98CF66-22AA-4A15-AF06-2D84D63123C8.jpeg
    DC98CF66-22AA-4A15-AF06-2D84D63123C8.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 354A8D2D-A6DE-4351-9C53-20F602CA7D3E.jpeg
    354A8D2D-A6DE-4351-9C53-20F602CA7D3E.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 160

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 116 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back