Discovering power of mantis shrimp

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap, I thought it would be like getting hit with a hammer but I guess it's really more like a bullet, huh.

Respect to these animals just grew exponentially.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slasher and smasher mantis shrimp, that was probably a slasher, instead of a club on the end that can crack shells and break the bones in your finger, the slashers have a spear that they use to kill fish, slices right thru things. They are neat creatures, but I would not get anywhere near the slasher ones.

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's a Californian Mantis shrimp, in which case a clubber but I definitely wouldn't fancy unhooking one!

Sorry if this seems like begging but if your interested in these mazing critters I have a YouTube channel for my peacock mantis shrimp Bruce called Kung Fu Shrimp detailing his many adventures. I've stuck a link to my latest video below and my channel address is in my signature.

If you enjoy please also remember to like and subscribe to the channel, I'm trying to grow it at the moment and it would really mean a lot.

Thanks!

Doctor Faust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slasher and smasher mantis shrimp, that was probably a slasher, instead of a club on the end that can crack shells and break the bones in your finger, the slashers have a spear that they use to kill fish, slices right thru things. They are neat creatures, but I would not get anywhere near the slasher ones.
That was a puncher. Slashers are actually spearers, they spear and not slash. However, the spearers don't spear in defense, they punch also with their "elbows". When they fold the claw, the part that would correspond to an elbow, has a knuckle-like bump, kind of like the puncher's gloves. They use that to punch things. Spear is only for the spearing of food.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a puncher. Slashers are actually spearers, they spear and not slash. However, the spearers don't spear in defense, they punch also with their "elbows". When they fold the claw, the part that would correspond to an elbow, has a knuckle-like bump, kind of like the puncher's gloves. They use that to punch things. Spear is only for the spearing of food.
It feels like a spear so that makes sense, I have had one.
Living currently with a puncher I've had for over two years, large animal, lives with a coral banded shrimp, pair of small clowns, and a dwarf angel. Very calm but this is the only I've gotten as a baby, she swims for large chunks of frozen in the column, I got her less than 1/4" as a hiker, she does occasionally kill snails, but can be hand fed without damage!
She rarely uses her "punch" anymore.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back