Disease? Is my clownfish being bullied?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two clownfish on Sunday and today I see a white mark on the fin of one of them. It isn’t a dot so is this from scraping on a rock? Also is the bigger one bullying the small one? I am worried :(

is this normal for clownfish trying to pair?
he is excited to eat and eats lots 871DEAFB-8E94-469A-BA04-CC0385BDA44B.png

Attachments

• IMG_5949.MOV
    14.8 MB
  • IMG_5950.MOV
    17.7 MB
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another video. Is this normal :( i feel like he is breathing faster than the other one but then he gets excited to eat and eats fine

Attachments

• IMG_5952.MOV
    42.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is another video. Is this normal :( i feel like he is breathing faster than the other one but then he gets excited to eat and eats fine
I could be wrong but smaller clown seems to have a couple of old bite marks (rings) by dorsal and head but could be wrong. Do they seem to squabble as to who's going to lay within the coral ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The caudal fin does look torn up, and the fish looks a little thin. Hard to see any mucus on a white clown though.
The fish looks lethargic in the video - is it always like this?

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but smaller clown seems to have a couple of old bite marks (rings) by dorsal and head but could be wrong. Do they seem to squabble as to who's going to lay within the coral ?
I see the spot you are talking about so I’ll look at some videos to see if it’s been there since the beginning. I’ve never seen them fight and I watch them all day. The worst I have seen is just the nudging in these videos. They have been staying together these last few days

edit: the bite marks appear to be new because I don’t see them in the pics and videos before + i dont remember them

Last edited:
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The caudal fin does look torn up, and the fish looks a little thin. Hard to see any mucus on a white clown though.
The fish looks lethargic in the video - is it always like this?
That fin was torn up when I got him. He has been eating very well the time he has been with me. He is being lazier than usual which is why I am worried

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No it doesn’t look like it. The texture looks the same as the other one. Just bite marks I guess
this is not even close to Brook. The fishs' appearance and fill looks good. Im leaning towards intimidation. One thing you can do to assure no aggression is in play, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could those marks also be from coral stings? He just started to spend time in this one a few days ago. Also
this is not even close to Brook. The fishs' appearance and fill looks good. Im leaning towards intimidation. One thing you can do to assure no aggression is in play, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be
okay I just fed them so I’ll do it tonight. Could the marks also be from coral stings? He just started to spend time in this coral. Since these are new clownfish could this just be them fighting to determine who is who and then be okay or do I intervene somehow? The only other fish in my tank is a ywg who stays away from everyone so it has to be the other clown.
These clownfish spend all day together so would the one get bullied to death?

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral stings will show up as black spots - aggression is common when clowns are pairing and is the most likely cause.
I think the one on his head his a sting and the dorsal fin is a bite then. They just recently started spending all day together so I just hope the asserting dominance doesn’t kill the tiny one

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could those marks also be from coral stings? He just started to spend time in this one a few days ago. Also

okay I just fed them so I’ll do it tonight. Could the marks also be from coral stings? He just started to spend time in this coral. Since these are new clownfish could this just be them fighting to determine who is who and then be okay or do I intervene somehow? The only other fish in my tank is a ywg who stays away from everyone so it has to be the other clown.
These clownfish spend all day together so would the one get bullied to death?
Coral stings are general black polka dot look

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think the one on his head his a sting and the dorsal fin is a bite then. They just recently started spending all day together so I just hope the asserting dominance doesn’t kill the tiny one
These are not stings. Known as hyper-melanization stings have this appearance.

1675446146234.png

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not stings. Known as hyper-melanization stings have this appearance.

1675446146234.png
Thank you for the info. Yeah they must both be bites then. So at this point do I let nature run its course because they hangout all day together peacefully and are starting to pair? At what point do I intervene?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the info. Yeah they must both be bites then. So at this point do I let nature run its course because they hangout all day together peacefully and are starting to pair? At what point do I intervene?
Isolation from the aggressor, the larger being the female in an isolation box for 10-14 days if damage continues or progresses

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isolation from the aggressor, the larger being the female in an isolation box for 10-14 days if damage continues or progresses
I never see them fight so maybe I’ll separate tomorrow if the little one is sluggish still. Can it just be a breeder box in the main tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I never see them fight so maybe I’ll separate tomorrow if the little one is sluggish still. Can it just be a breeder box in the main tank?
Breeder box acceptable as long as it offers circulation/oxygen delivery

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were the clowns a pair when you bought them? If not - one is going to get biullied - whether you acclimate them or not IMHO - I would just let them work it out - waiting in case there is a clear infection or damage

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back