Disease

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what this is and what to treat with. I'm guessing just a normal infection treated with furan 2 but want to be sure
IMG_5203.JPG

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what this is and what to treat with. I'm guessing just a normal infection treated with furan 2 but want to be sure
IMG_5203.JPG
Yes, I would use furan 2 or triple sulfa for 14 days if possible. That definitely looks like a skin infection to me.

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHE
Yes, I would use furan 2 or triple sulfa for 14 days if possible. That definitely looks like a skin infection to me.
RE CAN I GET FURAN 2. NONE OF THE LFS AROUND ME CARRY IT. I AHVE READ SOME PLACES CARRY TI AT THE VET

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to wait for Furan II to get to you, in the meantime you can use tri-sulpha, or sometimes called triple sulpha. If nothing immediate is available, at least place it in a hospital tank with NEW water and excellent aeration, changing at least half the water daily.
Just in case you haven't started anything yet, you need to do something to remedy the original cause of this problem which almost always stems from poor water quality. Hobbyists can't test for this condition and even though testing that CAN be done shows everything to be OK, it is NOT.
I'd suggest reassessing your husbandry protocol, looking for places where hidden spots are trapping uneaten food/detritus and increasing the frequency of your water changes and tank cleaning.
This water quality problem usually results from occasional lapses of husbandry over a period of time, slowly degrading conditions, not a sudden occurrence.

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Put into hospital tank Friday and started treating with pimafix and melafix. Already looks better. If not better by Thursday that's when the furan will be here

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat with furan 2 anyway, even if the seahorse looks better. I don't think primafix and melafix are powerful enough to eradicate the bacteria and you do not want that bacterial to mutate into a stronger strain.

Now while you are treating your stallion in HT would be a good time to look for any accumulated pockets of detritus or excess food in the system. When I get a sick seahorse, I always do some big water changes above the norm and scour the tank looking for trapped debris that could be feeding bad bacterias that are causing the infections.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back