Display refugium with frogfish and / or eel together with mantis?

Podle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently building a reef aquarium and are planning to have a DSB refugium (140 ltr / 37 gal) in the stand. I have made a window in the stand so that the fuge will be a "display refugium".
My plan was to have a peacock mantis in it, but I´m also a big fan of frogfish and eels... is it possible to keep these devils together, or will it create mayhem in my fuge? o_O

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could definitely have a frogfish and eel together. I would make sure the eel is a invert eating eel not a fish eater. I would also make sure to buy a small frogfish and make sure the eel is at least 2X larger. I would do the mantis shrimp because the frogfish may try to eat him and he may kill the frogfish.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could definitely have a frogfish and eel together. I would make sure the eel is a invert eating eel not a fish eater. I would also make sure to buy a small frogfish and make sure the eel is at least 2X larger. I would do the mantis shrimp because the frogfish may try to eat him and he may kill the frogfish.
You mean you wouldn't do the frogfish?

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I wouldn't do the mantis. Both the mantis and the eel would eat inverts and they may attack each other over food.

OP
OP
Podle

Podle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input guys!
I guess I´ll have to come up with a new plan ;)
I have another fuge (60 ltr / 16 gal) that will gravity feed down into MD. This will be a nursery for pods and other snacks, and my plan was to keep only shrimps here, but maybe that could be an alternative to put a small frogfish in here and the mantis down in the big fuge?

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting a fuge for extra room for other fish, animals it would work. If you are getting a fuge to help control nitrates be careful as eels and frog fish can produce greater amounts of waste(in case you aim for lower nutrients, sps corals ).

Good luck

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plumbed it with the overflow coming out of the back, not the bottom. You could have a little refugium next to the tank with some mangroves and a mantis shrimp. I think that would absolutely look awesome with a bunch of macro algae.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plumbed it with the overflow coming out of the back, not the bottom. You could have a little refugium next to the tank with some mangroves and a mantis shrimp. I think that would absolutely look awesome with a bunch of macro algae.
would you happen to have a diagram on that? i am looking to do a similar set up and i am more a "visual" person. i would to see it for the plumbing and the routes that will require....{sorry to ask you for so much....just took a shot in the dark}

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you happen to have a diagram on that? i am looking to do a similar set up and i am more a "visual" person. i would to see it for the plumbing and the routes that will require....{sorry to ask you for so much....just took a shot in the dark}
Honestly I don't know where to find that. One visual example would be of Mr. Saltwater tanks interview of Julian sprungs tank. It has a similar system setup that I was talking about.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back