Display Refugium

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start a 29 gallon "display" refugium that will be plumbed into my main system. anyone have any good sources of info? goal is nutrient export, and Pod Factory, since planning a Manderin in 6 months or so once this thing is fully established. but also I'm big into fresh water planted tanks so want to play that angle of it as well.

any good sources for plants? what are some good species that work well.

Etmanning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. I always run a refugium that is 1/3 the overall volume or larger on my tanks.

For a display refugium you can add sand and rock and scape it like you would your main DT.

Good macros are the many types of caulerpa, halimedia, dragons breath, gracillia, and chaeto. I usually get line from local reefer friends. Algaebarn is a good source that I have heard of but never personally used, and I think they are running out of stock currently.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anything that actually grows out of the substrate? or is all stuff that attaches to rock or is free floating? kinda want the seaweed forest look for the background.

Etmanning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anything that actually grows out of the substrate? or is all stuff that attaches to rock or is free floating? kinda want the seaweed forest look for the background.
Caulerpa will grow distinct roots and leaves that should give you that look. I wouldn't worry a ton, however, because macros do grow very quickly and trying to keep a perfectly groomed garden would be very difficult and would reduce the fuge's effectiveness.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mermaid fan will grow out of the substrate and look sweet

Kilo hat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon column built into my stand that I am planning to be a display fuge and potentially seahorse tank. I am with you on what type of macro's to put in there too.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back