Display Tank as QT (FOWLR)

RoseQuatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I don’t have room to set up a QT but I was wondering…

I have a FOWLR tank so could this be used as my QT? Since I have all the fish I intend to add can I medicate the tank like a QT to ensure my fish are healthy? My filtration is a refugium and skimmer. Would medication cause a negative effect to my biological filtration/macro algae?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello All,

I have a FOWLR tank so could this be used as my QT? Since I have all the fish I intend to add can I medicate the tank like a QT to ensure my fish are healthy? My filtration is a refugium and skimmer. Would medication cause a negative effect to my biological filtration/macro algae?

Thanks!
Yes or you can get a starter kit at walmart that contains the essentials for QT taking up to 24" of room.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Thanks!
medication is not good for the fish, so I wouldn't do this. Copper for example is fine for a QT period with most cases but exposing all your fish to copper every time you want to add a new one is sure to cause real complications.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can run the DT in hyposalinity for about a month which will take care of some problems (including Ich).
Prazi can be dosed to a display (especially FOWLR) with no serious risk to anything as well.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have used General Cure in my display FOWLRs often. Twice over the years I had to ‘nuke’ my tanks with CopperSafe (due to Marine Velvet)… but I’d keep that in the “last resort” category. I would say the best answer would depend on the particular medication you are think g about. Obviously even a small/simple stand-alone WT would be preferable. Best wishes!

OP
OP
RoseQuatics

RoseQuatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have used General Cure in my display FOWLRs often. Twice over the years I had to ‘nuke’ my tanks with CopperSafe (due to Marine Velvet)… but I’d keep that in the “last resort” category. I would say the best answer would depend on the particular medication you are think g about. Obviously even a small/simple stand-alone WT would be preferable. Best wishes!
I added my last fish yesterday (gem tang). He’s eating fine, isn’t lethargic, and breathes normally but does a weird fin flick. After a literal hour just watching him I noticed him flash. I suspected flukes so I FW dipped him for 5 minutes and saw nothing come off. Since I didn’t see flukes should I still be concerned with my tangs behavior? My grand plan was to just medicate my tank, ensure their healthy, before proceeding to corals in a few months.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my last fish yesterday (gem tang). He’s eating fine, isn’t lethargic, and breathes normally but does a weird fin flick. After a literal hour just watching him I noticed him flash. I suspected flukes so I FW dipped him for 5 minutes and saw nothing come off. Since I didn’t see flukes should I still be concerned with my tangs behavior? My grand plan was to just medicate my tank, ensure their healthy, before proceeding to corals in a few months.

most flukes are not visible to the naked eye

prazipro can be used with lots of aeration. General cure may be even better option since it won’t potentially impact oxygen so much.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, your macro algae should be fine, but maybe get a second opinion. Use the General Cure as directed and ‘most definitely’ add multiple air stones and/or power heads pointed upward to break up the water surface. (You don’t want to suffocate a Gem Tang, I’m quite sure.)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would General Cure be safe you think on my macro algae?

Sorry I am not sure about the metro part in it except that it is not invert safe I believe.

Prazipro would be safe to use with your macro. The stabilizer in prazipro can sometimes cause bacterial blooms so you want to be sure to have a lot of oxygen in case.

OP
OP
RoseQuatics

RoseQuatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I am not sure about the metro part in it except that it is not invert safe I believe.

Prazipro would be safe to use with your macro. The stabilizer in prazipro can sometimes cause bacterial blooms so you want to be sure to have a lot of oxygen in case.
I have a UV sterilizer. Would this help keep a bacterial bloom down and maintain oxygen?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a UV sterilizer. Would this help keep a bacterial bloom down and maintain oxygen?

you can’t run UV or carbon with medications

just make sure there is a lot of surface agitation. You may not get any bloom at all. It’s just a chance. I used to a handful of times in my reefs without issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Thanks!

It depends a lot on what medication you plan to use.
I'm seeing a lot of "FOWLR" that are really "FWSI" - Fish With Some Invertebrates - people have a FOWLR, then add in CUC, some shrimp, a few soft corals, etc. That defeats the purpose of having a FOWLR, which is the ability to then treat the tank if needed with hyposalinity or certain medications.

Some medications will reduce the activity of your biofilter - copper drops it about 25% - some antibiotics can reduce it so low that your ammonia levels will rise. Hyposalinity typically doesn't harm the biofilter too much, but in reducing the salinity, you can kill off microfauna and in turn could cause ammonia.

Jay

OP
OP
RoseQuatics

RoseQuatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends a lot on what medication you plan to use.
I'm seeing a lot of "FOWLR" that are really "FWSI" - Fish With Some Invertebrates - people have a FOWLR, then add in CUC, some shrimp, a few soft corals, etc. That defeats the purpose of having a FOWLR, which is the ability to then treat the tank if needed with hyposalinity or certain medications.

Some medications will reduce the activity of your biofilter - copper drops it about 25% - some antibiotics can reduce it so low that your ammonia levels will rise. Hyposalinity typically doesn't harm the biofilter too much, but in reducing the salinity, you can kill off microfauna and in turn could cause ammonia.

Jay
Thanks for your response Jay!

Back