Royal Gramma Losing Color

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma seems to be losing color. I've read this is common, but since it seems to be accelerating a bit I'm wondering if there's something else going on. Below is some tank info as well as a link to a video of the fish roughly 30 seconds long. The RG shares a tank with 2 clowns and a pink spot watchman. All are small/juvenile. RG has been in tank since around August but I've only notice the color loss over the last 30-45 days or so. All my fish get a full QT with Jay's method (copper + prazi). I have a QT available if I need to pull and medicate this guy but just put a new non-QT'ed fish in it so if I add him he'll be stuck going through a full QT protocol for 45 days...

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 20 gallon long
Filtration type: protein skimmer, hob with sponge
How long has the aquarium been established?: 1.5 years for rock, but moved from 10 to 20 gallon tank about 6 months ago

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? No
Are any invertebrates affected? No
Respiration rate of affected fish: Appears normal
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? N/A
Attaching a video link: Link

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Razorbacks Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma seems to be losing color. I've read this is common, but since it seems to be accelerating a bit I'm wondering if there's something else going on. Below is some tank info as well as a link to a video of the fish roughly 30 seconds long. The RG shares a tank with 2 clowns and a pink spot watchman. All are small/juvenile. RG has been in tank since around August but I've only notice the color loss over the last 30-45 days or so. All my fish get a full QT with Jay's method (copper + prazi). I have a QT available if I need to pull and medicate this guy but just put a new non-QT'ed fish in it so if I add him he'll be stuck going through a full QT protocol for 45 days...

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 20 gallon long
Filtration type: protein skimmer, hob with sponge
How long has the aquarium been established?: 1.5 years for rock, but moved from 10 to 20 gallon tank about 6 months ago

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? No
Are any invertebrates affected? No
Respiration rate of affected fish: Appears normal
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? N/A
Attaching a video link: Link
I don’t see any distinct disease symptoms here - are you seeing any scratching/flashing?

This may be normal fading seen in these fish, perhaps combined with some environmental issues….

What are you feeding it?
Do you know the nitrate levels?

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any distinct disease symptoms here - are you seeing any scratching/flashing?

This may be normal fading seen in these fish, perhaps combined with some environmental issues….

What are you feeding it?
Do you know the nitrate levels?
Nitrates have always been fairly low. Think the max I've ever hit is like 5. No flashing/scratching I've witnessed. I did suspect diet as well and that's highly likely. I've always fed just one brand of flakes that the clowns have done fine on but the container is getting old. I recently discontinued it and replaced with a more balanced diet. Now feeding 2 different brands of flakes, 1 brand of pellets, occasional frozen mysis, and about to start doing some live brine. Hopefully the broader diet mix will help.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back