Distinguished Torches

TaiVo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone with knowledge please show me ( preferred with pictures) thE difference between gold indo torch vs dragon soul torch vs hell fire torch? My head is about to explode to tell the difference because I’m trying to order some torch online. Thank you in advance!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have a couple of reg indos ,but following :) @Thespammailaccount @MERKEY @BighohoReef..;)
WP_20201028_17_12_14_Pro.jpg

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a torch collector and my mind was blown a few weeks ago cause I mixed up the dragon soul and hellfire.

I just make sure they're different. It would really be nice to get a hold of the naming in the community. If anything, it's important for pricing purposes. Everyone wants to name and rename their own stuff.

Anyways, this is how I understand them. Please anyone correct me as I just want to know when I need to frag also.

1 - Indo gold. Green mouth is the only difference that I can see from the Dragon Soul
2. Hellfire but I bought as a Dragon Soul. Green streaks on the mouth
3. Dragon Soul. Same as Indo Gold without green mouth
4. Black Panther. More pink and orange than Hellfire without green mouth
5. CC 21 Tail. A little more pastel than florescent compared to the Indo Gold. Might be the same.

20201031_040556.jpg 20201031_042309.jpg

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this illustration between a hellfire (left) and dragon soul (right). The dragon soul will have gold and green in the tentacles with a more purple/black background and teal tips and with a hellfire the gold is more dominate. As far as what is an indo gold I am not certain but I think a hellfire and a dragon soul are both considered a type of indo gold torch

C8460D82-54E8-4B60-AF02-60D3B7386ABE.jpeg

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pieces all!!! Torch head here I’m just going to say this... This will be an ongoing debate and with the variations on the torches becoming more diverse in color it’s probably going to get even more “debatable”. We’re already missing a few names on the list; no mention of a NY Knicks (orangish gold, bluish purple tentacles), with a green mouth) or a LA Laker (gold and purple running up the tentacles) and at this point there are so many different types of Indo gold that I’ve started to relate them all to where I’ve purchased them. Calikid Dragon Soul, CnC fatty head DS, CnC dragon soul, SC Dragon soul, LAX Dragon soul and JF CC21 Indo Gold.

I say if you love your torches just name them what you want just make sure to note the region it’s from, if your selling well that might be a different story. At the end of the day the are all beautiful Indo pieces love them while you got them:).

6C800F91-C3C7-428B-84EF-40146FBC4002.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TaiVo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pieces all!!! Torch head here I’m just going to say this... This will be an ongoing debate and with the variations on the torches becoming more diverse in color it’s probably going to get even more “debatable”. We’re already missing a few names on the list; no mention of a NY Knicks (orangish gold, bluish purple tentacles), with a green mouth) or a LA Laker (gold and purple running up the tentacles) and at this point there are so many different types of Indo gold that I’ve started to relate them all to where I’ve purchased them. Calikid Dragon Soul, CnC fatty head DS, CnC dragon soul, SC Dragon soul, LAX Dragon soul and JF CC21 Indo Gold.

I say if you love your torches just name them what you want just make sure to note the region it’s from, if your selling well that might be a different story. At the end of the day the are all beautiful Indo pieces love them while you got them:).

6C800F91-C3C7-428B-84EF-40146FBC4002.jpeg
I’m not looking for a debate. You missed the point. I’m trying to educate myself to distinguish the difference between those kind of torches I listed so I didn’t miss what you wanted to add to the list.There must be common ground of features in each kind of torch and that’s what I’m looking for. Just because you feel like there are too many kinds out there doesn’t justify you just giving up and name them however you wanted. Pretty sure a hellfire and a regular gold indo looks completely different. I love dogs but I don’t just call a husky a golden retriever because I didn’t know the difference and say I’m a dog person.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vendors make up the names.

To track down which vendor named what first and what it actually looked like would be pretty hard at this point.

So we go off of what we believe they looked like and what they are selling now.

This list @LosReef is pretty close and missing a few as @BighohoReef has mentioned. This list will always grow especially now that indo is back open and vendors know they can raise the price with a "NAMED" coral.

I believe bighohoreef was trying to get you to enjoy the coral a bit and not worry about fancy names. But when you are "collecting" those names and what the items look like matters a bit more. I really used to be into the name game with torches and have definitely "collected" them. Now I do just buy what I like to look at.

My opinion to what name belongs with what torch goes as followed.

Unfortunately grade levels play a big part in color. So a dragon soul without a green mouth will be labeled a rare and a dragon soul with a green mouth will be labeled ultra rare and one with longer green in the tentacles growing from the mouth will be a super ultra rare. So there are variations of each torch within each torches name. Vendors purchase corals on a varied scale depending on which import source they are purchasing from.

1 - Indo gold. Green mouth is the only difference that I can see from the Dragon Soul

To me Dragon souls don't HAVE to have a green mouth but all the tentacle tips I have seen have been of the green variation. The color of the tentacles also is much vibrant and even hints of green, much more than a normal indo gold.

An actual simple grade indo gold to me looks like a washed out wanna be Aussie gold. No color variation in tentacle and no green tips. This is one reason the Aussie gold are so popular as well. When sat next to each other aussies gold is just so bright. The gold in an aussie is really more like an Indo Holy grail gold....to me.

2. Hellfire but I bought as a Dragon Soul. Green streaks on the mouth

To me Hellfires are just slammed full of color in the tentacles. Some call these rainbow as well kind of like a dragon soul on steroids. Not a lot of purple like the dragon souls tenticles. And like them all the higher the grade you purchase the more coloration difference you will see i have seen these with green as well.

3. Dragon Soul. Same as Indo Gold without green mouth.

Answered this one on #1

4. Black Panther. More pink and orange than Hellfire without green mouth.

To me the black panthers I have seen also depend on grade (yup this is a thing) . I have seen them with all backed out tentacles with no hint of colors and have dark purple tips and mouth. I've also seen other grades where they have purple tips and a green mouth with a slighter light purple tentacle. Each vendor will use the name when they want to sell a no name coral with almost the same color. And hey if TCK corals calls is a black Panther who are we to say no.

5. CC 21 Tail. A little more pastel than florescent compared to the Indo Gold. Might be the same.

This is a perfect example of naming a torch to sell. I've seen one that looks like a hellfire and one that looks like a dragon soul. From different members but sold and bought as the same torch.

NY Knicks is darker purple tenticles with straps of gold with greenish mouth and tips. I've seen a turquoise/teal version come out that I couldn't pass up, such a sick version.

As stated above there are too many to really list as vendors are naming things too fast. I was told my master torch looked like the new leprechaun torch that had just came out.o_O

In all seriousness unless you buy from a vendor or a member with lineage for the torch, you don't know what you are getting at this point.

Try to follow the coloration as close as possible to what we ALL have collectively suggested and just don't get ripped off either!

Last edited:

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the NY Knicks that I have.

I agree about the CC 21 Tails. I got it from Cherry Corals and thought it looked different enough so I ordered it. I tell myself that it looks different from my Indo Gold, but it's the same.

2nd pic. I've also got a UC Malaysian Gold torch that just looks like a mini Aussie Gold, but longer than a Cristata. I hope it gets bigger. I couldn't find any colony pics so I went for it. We'll see.

20200924_171740.jpg 20201031_113403.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a good example of one in the live sale going on right now.

Its an indo gold variation. Which grade of variation only the vendor knows. It has no green mouth, not a lot of color variation but is still a cool torch. They are slapping a cool name on it and selling it at $600 on a live sale.

Yes some of these have been in their tanks for a while but at one point they were purchased as a grade of indo gold.

Who ever gets it will have a really pretty...."insanity jester torch"

Screenshot_20201031-122843_Samsung Internet.jpg

NickCage007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cb Dragonball top left. Then hellfire to its right, top. Left is ny knicks, and a new wild hellfire. On the sand, dragon soul.
U can see the differences in this picture, well.

Attachments

• received_766823247496336.jpeg
    received_766823247496336.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 393

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also am trying to distinguish between a hellfire, dragon soul, indo gold and now a jester. I have purchased a hellfire and this person who I trust said the difference between hellfire and a dragon soul is dragon souls have more green! I have noticed most pics of authentic ds have green towards the tip.

My hellfire dosnt have green except for tips but defiantly dosnt have a green mouth. Looks purplish blue. Kind of dull in color. I hope the indo gold will be brighter. I have seen some at my LFS almost an orange color and very bright. She is to expensive though! The indo gold I havt received from him yet looked just like a ny knicks but maybe lighter blue tip and has a green mouth! I have seen many pics of indo golds without green mouths! Do they all have green mouths?

I am also looking at a jester now since I just ordered an Malaysian gold with blue tips from a vendor. Does anyone know anything about them? I am on the lookout for torches so hate to pay shipping for just one! LOL

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be back with pics later. Cant seem to find them!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back