Distorted/mutant morphology in Acroporas radial and axial corallite structure.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a link to this thread? I'm curious to see what those corals look like.

Growth can always be altered by flow. Usually it guides the direction in which a coral will grow. I'm not ruling out flow as a factor, but those Tenuis have that distinct look I've began to notice more and more, and coincidentally in LED systems.

Not bashing on LEDs in the slightest. Just curious why that happens, and if there's a link between the lighting, params, flow, or what?
@Pedoconfuego can link it if he wants to

flockaveli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many are you seeing?
Enough to make me think there is some type connection between this growth and LED lighting.

Again, I'm just curious to know why it happens. Could be no correlation at all between the strange growth and LEDs, I don't know. In my memory, every time I've noticed this type of irregular growth it has been an LED only tank. Maybe it happens in MH and T5 tanks just as much, but I haven't really seen it, that I can recall.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough to make me think there is some type connection between this growth and LED lighting.

Again, I'm just curious to know why it happens. Could be no correlation at all between the strange growth and LEDs, I don't know. In my memory, every time I've noticed this type of irregular growth it has been an LED only tank. Maybe it happens in MH and T5 tanks just as much, but I haven't really seen it, that I can recall.
I’m interested as well, as a hobby we’ve had LEDs for years, lighting hundreds of systems containing thousands of tenuis and only a handful seem to suffer from this. I’d be very surprised if it was anything to do with LEDS.
if this is an emerging issue could it possibly be a spectrum issue? As lighting seems to be getting bluer and bluer, just a random thought though as I’ve never seen it..
Has anyone seen this with LEDs at a normal spectrum say 14000K?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is that when I got some bumpy inflated tips back when I was running all three lights at once the only thing that was off was my dosing of calcium mag and alk. Once I started the correct ratios they new growth took over normally and overgrew any bad tips.
A lot of what I am seeing now is the whole body of the corals have lumpy looks. More than just the bubbly tip issue, which I used to see more a decade ago. I believe the thread mentioned maybe russo’s thread. He is running t5 with led suppliments and the texture is showing on some pieces. Even though the texture is showing in his tank the colors are not affected at all that’s for sure. Not that it is in any of the other tanks that show this.
I still wouldn’t blame this on lighting but it’s going to take this thread sticking around a long time and many people participating in sharing this stuff for us to ever figure anything out. I have heard people say all sorts of stuff causes this.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have it on parts of 2 corals which are both being hit by steady linear flow on those areas.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours pumps can make a dirrect flow too. Which will definitely lead to different growth. Sometimes mine look warty or like they have chew marks. Nope its little growth tips.

Seen a lot of pieces with weird growth under t5s. Usually a few branches growing wider, some like a wall (Thin and wide to stop flow from rest of the coral.)

Kinda funny how far some of us go to figure stuff out. I say as long as its growing and beautiful, let it grow and be beautiful. Sometimes weird is good.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think we should just let the topic go just because the corals have color and are growing. I don’t think we are acting like we are number chasing or anything, or looking for something that’s not a problem. I have seen this growth cause problems in some tanks and I think most of us would agree that if we had our acros growing with lumpy growth we would want to fix it if possible, or at least know what is happening. This topic has been around for a long time (but never associated with led that I have seen) and many have had major issues with the corals having this hyperplasia type growth. Some even had to cut all corals up and save just a few good tips and restarted their tanks. There are different types it seems and it would be great to figure out what’s actually happening.
So far I have seen what I had, which was lumpy inflated tips mainly, and then what most of this thread is talking about is the main body of the coral having lumpy texture. I believe the two are related and caused by the same thing although I am just guessing. Neither of these issues I would want to have in my tank. It would be great if people could share some more pics if anyone has this happening in their tanks.
Maybe associating this with led (even if it is not what the issue is) is a good thing, otherwise it would float to the bottom of the list and not get any replies like most of the other threads that don’t last long about this topic.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s a flow issue. We’ve all been brainwashed that we need the strongest most chaotic flow possible without the water splashing out over the sides and this is not true. My best growers in terms of structure are in the lowest areas of flow.
These are near the bottom tucked in rocks where there no linear flow.
C11EFE06-DD81-4AAB-BA64-EFE4C4F439A1.jpeg
35EFEB54-486D-44EA-B67E-4234B588E2B2.jpeg

flockaveli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow are we talking about?

I would have disagree with this being directly related to flow. Until about 5 or 6 years ago all my powerheads were constant stream, and a lot of my corals sat in linear flow day in and day out, and I've seen tanks in the past with lots of linear flow. It will for sure have an effect on the corals growth/structure, and the coral will likely grow with the flow, branches headed in the same direction. I have not seen corals look like the ones observed in this thread or others in question. This to me is more of a stress induced disease, or infection that alters the corals ability to grow tissue, and calcify correctly.

That being said, if the flow is somewhere between too much, and the tissue peeling off. Then I suppose I could see that being the cause of mutated growth, but IMO, a stress induced form of Hyperplasia/Neoplasia is more likely here.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think we should just let the topic go just because the corals have color and are growing. I don’t think we are acting like we are number chasing or anything, or looking for something that’s not a problem.
I think the OP should change the title if you want this to continue, as it is contentious at the least and polarising of opinion and directive in its assumption...

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow are we talking about?

I would have disagree with this being directly related to flow. Until about 5 or 6 years ago all my powerheads were constant stream, and a lot of my corals sat in linear flow day in and day out, and I've seen tanks in the past with lots of linear flow. It will for sure have an effect on the corals growth/structure, and the coral will likely grow with the flow, branches headed in the same direction. I have not seen corals look like the ones observed in this thread or others in question. This to me is more of a stress induced disease, or infection that alters the corals ability to grow tissue, and calcify correctly.

That being said, if the flow is somewhere between too much, and the tissue peeling off. Then I suppose I could see that being the cause of mutated growth, but IMO, a stress induced form of Hyperplasia/Neoplasia is more likely here.
Too much flow can definitely cause stress along with a bunch of other variables. In my case, I’m 100% positive its from the excess linear flow. If it was from my led lighting or chemistry I would assume my other 30+ sps would be showing these signs.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely also think that too much flow can be a problem... there IS such a thing as too much flow. I have no idea if this has anything to do with this.

Another thing to consider is a constant supply of base elements. A tank with a swings bunch of carbonate or calcium might interrupt growth at time and cause some aberrations... we know that this causes clams to restart their shell cycle and can slow down growth for them.

Whatever it is, I would be caution not to assume that anything applies the same to every species in the same way... maybe, but maybe not.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much flow can definitely cause stress along with a bunch of other variables. In my case, I’m 100% positive its from the excess linear flow. If it was from my led lighting or chemistry I would assume my other 30+ sps would be showing these signs.

Yours could be from flow, but if you use pulse or reefcrest type flow patterns then the coral would be getting flow from other angles at times. Also if I remember right you don’t really have much flow in the tank to start right?
Imo yours looks like a different defect. The hyperplasia type growth is a bit different and ime has nothing to do with flow.
Either way keep us updated on how those branches turn out.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a few pieces doing this I fragged two of them and put them in a friends tank and they grew normally. This is the weird part that makes me wonder and think it has to be something we can control in our tanks. One was an austera the other a cardus. Has anyone tried this?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours could be from flow, but if you use pulse or reefcrest type flow patterns then the coral would be getting flow from other angles at times. Also if I remember right you don’t really have much flow in the tank to start right?
Imo yours looks like a different defect. The hyperplasia type growth is a bit different and ime has nothing to do with flow.
Either way keep us updated on how those branches turn out.
I have 2 mp40s on the back wall of my 50 cube at 10-15% and this produces little over all flow but there are some really powerful linear flow hot spots, and both of corals I’m the pics in those spots. I thought the pics were pretty clear. The abnormal growth is only happening in those spots. I have not been able to find a perfect flow recipe for every coral.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics of my blue tenuis that I posted are from a colony that sits in constant linear flow - a few inches in front of the overflow intake. That colony also grew in a funny shape in general - all the branches grew in line with the flow direction. Basically the coral is growing toward the overflow and that's the only direction in which it's made significant growth.

There may be something to the constant linear flow idea.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you guys consider constant linear flow is way off from my description and would not cause what we are discussing ime. MPs on 10% and water moving into an overflow that is. Does anyone else agree with me on this?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back