Diving in Koh Tao, Thailand This Week

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from Koh Tao and finally got to use my camera! I took these pics and many more in one day (actually 186 total) although I was there for a week. I'm going to make a trip down to Phuket to take dive photography lessons this coming month and will get plenty of pics from around there soon to add (Koh Racha Noi, Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, and possibly the Similan Islands) and plan to go back to Koh Tao on the return trip to Bangkok! All these pics were taken just snorkeling and haven't been edited at all yet. Wish I could post videos! Some turned out pretty good while some weremt so great since this was my first time using the camera (the best ones I'll save for now and some of the others I'll touch up). I'll be sure to post plenty more later after visiting the islands near Phuket this month and going back to Koh Tao afterwards!
P7280323.JPG
Bannerfish
P7280315.JPG
Tabling Acropora Sp. (Possibly Acropora hyacinthus)
P7280313.JPG P7280300.JPG
Cucumber half the size of my arm
P7280310.JPG
Bannerfish and Chaetodon weibili Butterflyfish
P7280293.JPG
Spirobranchus sp. Worms
P7280278.JPG
P7280280.JPG

The most neon green Acropora I've seen in nature
P7280277.JPG
Unidentified blue sponge
P7280249.JPG
Tridacna clam
P7280244.JPG
Very close to shore view (it was less cloudy the farther you went out)
P7280230.JPG
Boring clam
P7280285.JPG
My feet. P7280265.JPG

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I so desperately want to go back to Thailand for more diving. I was there in 2019 and dove Koh Haa. They were my initial dive certification check off dives and I ruptured both eardrums :face-with-head-bandage:

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so desperately want to go back to Thailand for more diving. I was there in 2019 and dove Koh Haa. They were my initial dive certification check off dives and I ruptured both eardrums :face-with-head-bandage:
That sounds painful! Why did they allow you to dive to a depth that would be possible during your certification? Generally the dives for your open water certification are very shallow! Did you ever complete your certification??

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this month will be diving, I should be able to better stay still for the pics since I'll have neutral buoyancy (not a luxury I had while snorkeling)...I should also be able to picture some more really beautiful fish, deeper corals, and maybe some starfish as well...the instructor I'm taking courses with just sent me some beautiful macro shots of a male Ostracion meleagris Boxfish (for those of you who don't know they're blue on top with spots and yellow on the sides with spots). We get small ones from Indonesia for the aquarium trade fairly commonly but seeing natural pics is absolutely amazing!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That sounds painful! Why did they allow you to dive to a depth that would be possible during your certification? Generally the dives for your open water certification are very shallow! Did you ever complete your certification??

You do not have to go very deep to rupture your eardrums. You can rupture them in 10-20 feet if you suck at equalizing - which I did lol.

Since then I’ve mastered the skill and got certified. Several certifications actually.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not have to go very deep to rupture your eardrums. You can rupture them in 10-20 feet if you suck at equalizing - which I did lol.

Since then I’ve mastered the skill and got certified. Several certifications actually.
Awesome! (Except for the rupturing your eardrums part).

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are just a few pictures I took in the Andaman Sea last week...sorry that I have to save some of the best pictures for other sources. I'd like to be able to write short articles about certain species of fish/inverts which are difficult or currently not possible to keep in captivity for R2R members and if/when that becomes possible I'd love to include the best pictures I have for all of you! It was amazing how many crinoids there were everywhere! I also got some great pictures of 3 different species of Linckia genus starfish, both male and female Ostracion meleagris boxfish, a banded sea krait, moray eels, clams of every color combination imaginable, a cuttlefish, and many more incredible marine organisms! P8130561.jpeg P8160130.jpeg P8160590.jpeg P8120500.jpeg P8160589.jpeg

trhphuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any tips on how to master equalizing? I also failed to equalize and couldn't complete my initial dive certification check off dives this summer. Only one ear would pop when I blew the air out while pinching my nose.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on how to master equalizing? I also failed to equalize and couldn't complete my initial dive certification check off dives this summer. Only one ear would pop when I blew the air out while pinching my nose.
At what depth do you first attempt to equalize? I'd recommend you try to equalize at the very surface (before the need to equalize actually occurs) and continue to hold your nose as you descend slowly. It's rare for someone to be completely unable to equalize so I would assume that you're waiting until the pressure has already built up which may make it more difficult for you.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yes! I feel your pain. Literally!

The best thing you can do is practice leading up to your trip. Here’s what I did…

Plug your nose, hold your breath and push (“blow”) gently against your pinched nostrils - as if you’re trying to equalize. While you’re doing that, swallow WITHOUT releasing the slight pressure you’ve built up. You should feel both ear drums flex/pop when you swallow. You’ll know right away when you get it right.

I do that 5-10 times a day in the weeks leading up to my trips. Stretch those eustachian tubes out a little. Do it a few times the morning of your dives and on the boat out to site. Then do it again on the surface of the water before you descend.

Now go back to just normal Valsalva (without the swallow part) and start equalizing RIGHT AWAY. Don’t wait until you’re feeling pressure. Start as soon as your head goes under water, and again every 1-2 feet. It’s really helpful if you can find some dives with mooring lines to descend down slowly in a more controlled manner. You can of course do the same thing in open water but it’s easy to stop paying attention to your depth and start to ascend accidentally.

This process worked REALLY well for me when nothing else did. Now I can equalize reliably.

Hopefully it works for you like it did for me!

trhphuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I feel your pain. Literally!

The best thing you can do is practice leading up to your trip. Here’s what I did…

Plug your nose, hold your breath and push (“blow”) gently against your pinched nostrils - as if you’re trying to equalize. While you’re doing that, swallow WITHOUT releasing the slight pressure you’ve built up. You should feel both ear drums flex/pop when you swallow. You’ll know right away when you get it right.

I do that 5-10 times a day in the weeks leading up to my trips. Stretch those eustachian tubes out a little. Do it a few times the morning of your dives and on the boat out to site. Then do it again on the surface of the water before you descend.

Now go back to just normal Valsalva (without the swallow part) and start equalizing RIGHT AWAY. Don’t wait until you’re feeling pressure. Start as soon as your head goes under water, and again every 1-2 feet. It’s really helpful if you can find some dives with mooring lines to descend down slowly in a more controlled manner. You can of course do the same thing in open water but it’s easy to stop paying attention to your depth and start to ascend accidentally.

This process worked REALLY well for me when nothing else did. Now I can equalize reliably.

Hopefully it works for you like it did for me!
This is awesome. I will definitely try to practice.

At what depth do you first attempt to equalize? I'd recommend you try to equalize at the very surface (before the need to equalize actually occurs) and continue to hold your nose as you descend slowly. It's rare for someone to be completely unable to equalize so I would assume that you're waiting until the pressure has already built up which may make it more difficult for you.
Even on land, only one of my ear would pop using the normal Valsalva technique so I guess it was not because of the pressure differential. The instructor at the time tried to pull me to the surface and had me equalize constantly but pain persisted in the ear that wouldn't pop. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even on land, only one of my ear would pop using the normal Valsalva technique so I guess it was not because of the pressure differential. The instructor at the time tried to pull me to the surface and had me equalize constantly but pain persisted in the ear that wouldn't pop. Any suggestions?
If it's that persistent I'd pay a visit to an ear, nose, and throat physician just to check if there may be an actual issue (it can almost certainly be fixed easily if that's the case)...diving is an incredible experience nobody should have to miss out on!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Try the nose-pinch/swallow and see if they both equalize or still just one. I have one ear that takes a little more work as well but they both pop easily using that method.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's that persistent I'd pay a visit to an ear, nose, and throat physician just to check if there may be an actual issue (it can almost certainly be fixed easily if that's the case)...diving is an incredible experience nobody should have to miss out on!
I ruptured my left eardrum diving in Jamaica a year go. I had no pain but noticed water coming out of my ear. Turns out it was a large rupture and the first surgery to graft my eardrum didn’t take and had to have a second Surgery. I probably didn’t equalize early enough.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share a couple more of my pics with the R2R community because it's been a while since I've added to this thread. I originally intended to regularly post here since I love sharing my dive experiences with others. I actually just started an IG account dedicated to posting pictures I've taken myself. @divingdeeperdepths

20231231-PC310513.jpg 20231231-PC310578.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaetodon wiebeli
Follow @divingdeeperdepths on IG to see more dive photography of the reefs surrounding Thailand's many islands and related content posted regularly. 20231230-PC300363-3.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back