Diving in with a large tank

SteelShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I unexpectedly came into possession of a very nice large tank, and I have nearly zero experience! Not going to lie, I'm fairly intimidated, and I've come here so I can learn how to do things the right way. I know it would have made more sense to start out small and work my way up, but I didn't expect to receive this tank and I didn't pick it out, so here I am. I actually got the tank over a year ago, and I have been too nervous to do anything with it, so it has sadly just sat in my garage until I finally decided I can do this.

The tank is acrylic and about 230 gallons (60"x30"x30"), with an acrylic stand and canopy. It is not plumbed and it has no equipment - just the tank, stand, and canopy. I've attached a couple of pictures, please pardon the messy garage and the fact that I still haven't even finished removing all the packing material, put the doors on, etc.

This may be ill-advised based on my near-zero experience, but I want to make this a reef tank because... well, because they are awesome and I can't bring myself to do anything less with such a nice big tank. I have a little experience with small (10 gal or less) freshwater tanks, but no experience with saltwater, reef tanks, etc. All I know about reef tanks is what I've learned from watching the BRS "52 Weeks of Reefing" series.

Fortunately, I have a good place to put the tank - a tiled room on a concrete slab with no direct sunlight.

I think my first step is to figure out how to drill holes and plumb the tank, which sounds terrifying. I'd like to get that out of the way while the tank is still in the garage, before I move it inside. In parallel, I need to figure out what equipment I need - lights, pump, sump, etc. I'm also going to figure out how to run a dedicated electrical line.

I know there is a wealth of knowledge already posted here, so thank you to everyone who has added their experience already. I'm now off to search and learn more!

20221203_144615.jpg 20221203_144639.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I unexpectedly came into possession of a very nice large tank, and I have nearly zero experience! Not going to lie, I'm fairly intimidated, and I've come here so I can learn how to do things the right way. I know it would have made more sense to start out small and work my way up, but I didn't expect to receive this tank and I didn't pick it out, so here I am. I actually got the tank over a year ago, and I have been too nervous to do anything with it, so it has sadly just sat in my garage until I finally decided I can do this.

The tank is acrylic and about 230 gallons (60"x30"x30"), with an acrylic stand and canopy. It is not plumbed and it has no equipment - just the tank, stand, and canopy. I've attached a couple of pictures, please pardon the messy garage and the fact that I still haven't even finished removing all the packing material, put the doors on, etc.

This may be ill-advised based on my near-zero experience, but I want to make this a reef tank because... well, because they are awesome and I can't bring myself to do anything less with such a nice big tank. I have a little experience with small (10 gal or less) freshwater tanks, but no experience with saltwater, reef tanks, etc. All I know about reef tanks is what I've learned from watching the BRS "52 Weeks of Reefing" series.

Fortunately, I have a good place to put the tank - a tiled room on a concrete slab with no direct sunlight.

I think my first step is to figure out how to drill holes and plumb the tank, which sounds terrifying. I'd like to get that out of the way while the tank is still in the garage, before I move it inside. In parallel, I need to figure out what equipment I need - lights, pump, sump, etc. I'm also going to figure out how to run a dedicated electrical line.

I know there is a wealth of knowledge already posted here, so thank you to everyone who has added their experience already. I'm now off to search and learn more!

20221203_144615.jpg 20221203_144639.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. CONGRATULATIONS! You found the best place to be!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). In fact, what you have above you could even copy and paste into a new thread in Forum > Member Aquariums where Build Threads are created.

This might help you find people local to you in Fairfax (is that N VA?):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
SteelShark

SteelShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. CONGRATULATIONS! You found the best place to be!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). In fact, what you have above you could even copy and paste into a new thread in Forum > Member Aquariums where Build Threads are created.

This might help you find people local to you in Fairfax (is that N VA?):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Awesome, thank you! I will start up a Build Thread, I didn't really understand what that meant initially, now I get it. I will definitely check out the local group, and yes - N VA. And, that book looks great. Thanks again!

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Wow what an incredible first tank! Those dimensions are fantastic! You can do a lot with the rock scape and get some really cool fish!

OP
OP
SteelShark

SteelShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Wow what an incredible first tank! Those dimensions are fantastic! You can do a lot with the rock scape and get some really cool fish!
Yes, fantastic dimensions - but very intimidating for a first tank! I'm looking forward to seeing it once all built up with rocks, fish, etc.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, fantastic dimensions - but very intimidating for a first tank! I'm looking forward to seeing it once all built up with rocks, fish, etc.
I'm looking forward to it too! I have a new 120 and would have loved to go bigger. That 30 high and 30 deep is amazing. I will definitely follow the build thread to see what you do with it.

There are some advantages of going bigger like more water volume means things will be more stable if you make a slight mistake. It will be more work for water changes and more scraping of glass. But the flexibility of inhabitants in a tank that large more then makes up for it in my opinion.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back