redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to saltwater tanks. I have a tank set up with live sand and rock that's been cycling for about 3 months. I'm scared to add anything. I got a brittle star with the tank that died not long after I got it. I don't want to repeat that experience. I'd like to just have a reef tank that maybe I can add fish to later. But I have no idea what I'm doing. I've read a lot about setups, refugiums, water exchange, etc. i just have a 40gal tank with a filter with light filtration and bio balls. I have a good testing kit and hydrometer. Please give me some tips on starting to slowly add life to my aquarium. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! I highly recommend watching BRS 52 weeks of reefing, it will walk you through each step, and read this book written by one of our members. Best of luck and we all started where you are ar.
BF05AD97-078E-4244-BCBC-493B6ACFCF92.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, and welcome to Reef2Reef! Feel free to ask any questions and we’ll be happy to help!
I’d recommend you start with some basic inverts, such as snails and hermit crabs. They’ll help feed off the inevitable algae that comes with new tanks—just be sure to feed them, since there are no fish to produce waste yet. Brittle stars are definitely better additions later on, when your parameters are no longer swinging dramatically.

OP
OP
R

redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! I highly recommend watching BRS 52 weeks of reefing, it will walk you through each step, and read this book written by one of our members. Best of luck and we all started where you are ar.
BF05AD97-078E-4244-BCBC-493B6ACFCF92.jpeg
Thank you! I'll take a look at those.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It is easy to be intimidated by all of the information on a saltwater tank. The most important thing early on is to make sure you have your saltwater at an acceptable specific gravity and an established bacterial bio-filter. That pretty much requires rock in the display for the bacteria to populate. Sand is optional, it adds a lot of surface area for bio-filtration but it can be hard to keep from blowing around and it can be a nutrient trap. As a new reefer, I would advise you have a sand bed as the initial months of a new tank is easier to control with a sand bed. Make sure your bio-filtration is working by testing your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Ammonia and Nitrate should be zero and there should be some Nitrate. If there is Ammonia or Nitrite your cycle isn't complete. If there is no Nitrate either you probably never cycled the tank although the loss of the brittle star, while unfortunate, probably got the tank cycled nicely. I would add a couple of snail if you parameters look good but not too many unless you have visible algae in the tank. You don't want them starving. Good luck.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240315_123538.gif

Welcome to reef2reef!

I know when I got my first fish, I was sure scared. To say the least, only 1 out of the 3 fish survived. Things dying in this hobby is normal, and while it's sad, it's mostly not all our fault.

If you are looking for a first fish for your tank, I highly recommend getting a pair of clowns for your tank. They are one of the most iconic fish in this hobby, but they are also one of the easiest SW fish to keep.

I also recommend you setting up a build theead on this forum. It's a fun way to document, and show off your build. You can also ask questions whenever you want, and people following your build thread will answer them pretty quick! If you make one, make sure to copy the link of your thread, then click on your profile picture, then "account details", then scroll down to my tank thread, put the link, turn click save and you will get an awesome badge under your name, and anyone can access your build thread easily!

OP
OP
R

redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It is easy to be intimidated by all of the information on a saltwater tank. The most important thing early on is to make sure you have your saltwater at an acceptable specific gravity and an established bacterial bio-filter. That pretty much requires rock in the display for the bacteria to populate. Sand is optional, it adds a lot of surface area for bio-filtration but it can be hard to keep from blowing around and it can be a nutrient trap. As a new reefer, I would advise you have a sand bed as the initial months of a new tank is easier to control with a sand bed. Make sure your bio-filtration is working by testing your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Ammonia and Nitrate should be zero and there should be some Nitrate. If there is Ammonia or Nitrite your cycle isn't complete. If there is no Nitrate either you probably never cycled the tank although the loss of the brittle star, while unfortunate, probably got the tank cycled nicely. I would add a couple of snail if you parameters look good but not too many unless you have visible algae in the tank. You don't want them starving. Good luck.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back