Diy 2 part

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey! Have not been able to find any Dowflake locally or online so was thinking of using prestone driveway heat. How much do you mix up for a gallon worth? I read you should use 1/5 less than what the recipe calls for, so 2 cups correct? I have used BRS for my diy solutions but they have been out of stock for a couple of weeks with this covid stuff so I thought worth a shot making my own usong recipe #1 and save a buck while I'm at it. Thanks!

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a 20lb bag on ebay. Want to make sure its this stuff lol

Screenshot_20200416-044949_eBay.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it and that’s a reasonable recipe adjustment. I am not certain it is still ok, but it used to be.
Dow has raised the bromide level in its products, So it is good to do regular water changes to keep it from rising too much.

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it! Thanks for your help! Gonna purchase it, along arm and hammer for the alk part

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it and that’s a reasonable recipe adjustment. I am not certain it is still ok, but it used to be.
Dow has raised the bromide level in its products, So it is good to do regular water changes to keep it from rising too much.

Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley , I was just having this discussion with someone reputable today. Is it worth dealing with impurities in the Driveway Heat rather then getting some “Aquarium Grade” calcium chloride? I was told that the formula has changed and the impurities have risen to the point that it’s not a viable option anymore and I should throw mine out (or at least on the driveway). True or over-reaction?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley , I was just having this discussion with someone reputable today. Is it worth dealing with impurities in the Driveway Heat rather then getting some “Aquarium Grade” calcium chloride? I was told that the formula has changed and the impurities have risen to the point that it’s not a viable option anymore and I should throw mine out (or at least on the driveway). True or over-reaction?

Thanks

I don't think anyone has good info on impurities in driveway heat these days.

Long ago it was determined that it was a Dowflake material. That could easily have changed.

IMO, what to do depends on your cost sensitivity.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Prestone Driveway Heat for the past several months and I haven't seen any negative effect on my corals, but there is what I will describe as a sludge in the bottom of my dosing container. As cheap as the bulk BRS calcium chloride is I am going to switch to it. It's not worth the risk IMO when with the calcium chloride only costs a few dollars per gallon of mix

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back